× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra6 sudden enclosure fan issues after update from OS 6.10.1 to OS 6.10.2

ArchPrime
Guide

ReadyNAS Ultra6 sudden enclosure fan issues after update from OS 6.10.1 to OS 6.10.2

After updating firmware from 6.10.1 to 6.10.2 this evening, I was suddently getting enclosure fan warnings that I was not getting before.

The system log file reported : 'Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (-1 rpm).' for the first time ever immediately after the update.

On the system overview page, I could see a red status light and 'System fan is not working', for about a minute or so then it went back to green 'Healthy'' status for another minute or so, before  going back to red - with these states alternating indefinitely.  I am assuming the delay between alternating states reflects the fan sensor polling speed?

The system log only seems to report a single instance of fan failure despite this alternation (full logs available if anyone interested)

In the System Performance tab, I could watch as the reported fan speed alternated between 500-600 RPM range (while system status was showing 'Healthy') then jumping to something like 28000 RPM  (which I assume is false - no jet turbine sounds were coming from enclosure),  with a fan failure warning, before the system status and corresponding animated fan graphic actually dissapeared from the UI completely. 

Then the cycle would repeat, with the fan graphic reappearing, fan status showing as 'healthy' etc for the next minute or so...

CPU temp on fan 'quiet' mode was reportedly 46 degrees (celcius) and system temp was showing 55 degrees (celcius). and these did not seem to be climbing even while fan was reportedly malfunctioning.

Switching the fan mode from the starting 'Quiet' setting to 'Cool', the reported fan speed jumped up to 1735 RPM or so - and temps dropped by around 10 degrees,  and the fan warnings stopped. 

Switching the fan speed down to 'Balanced' mode eventually shows fan at around 940-1040 RPM, and the warnings also do not occur.

Switching speed back down to 'Quiet' mode from 'Balanced' mode however does not work at all  - fan speed actually jumps back up to  the 1735  RPM it was reportedly on in under 'Cool' Mode.

The lowest speed I can now achieve for practical purposes seems to be under 'balanced' mode.

Something seriously flaky seems to be happening under new OS version in relation to the 'Quiet' fan mode .  

Has anyone else noticed this?  Is this likely a bug, or an amazingly conicidental hardware /sensor failure?

Model: RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements