× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS V1 Backup schedule not backing up.

JasonCP
Aspirant

ReadyNAS V1 Backup schedule not backing up.

Dear community,

Firstly many thanks for the help I have received so far.

I think (hope) I have my final hurdle to overcome. The ReadyNASv1 that I have is now running on RAIDiator 4.1.16 and I have now transferred all my files onto it (hurrah!)

My problem is now backing up on the backup schedule.

I have enabled both:

• NetBIOS Over TCP/IP
  • SMB1

Yet this is the error message I have now get:

INCREMENTAL Backup started. Sat Dec 19 12:22:13 GMT 2020

Job: 001

Protocol: cifs-ab

Source: //192.168.1.71/F:\FAMILY

Destination: [Family]/

Anonymous login successful

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Files copied: 0

Backup finished. Sat Dec 19 12:22:15 GMT 2020

Any advice would really help please.

Model: RND2120|ReadyNAS Duo 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS V1 Backup schedule not backing up.

If you have another PC, you can try accessing the share from that PC.  That could give you some clues on what might be wrong.

One thing to check - you need both network access and file access for the NAS.  So also right-click on the folder, and look at the file permissions.  You might need to set them to everyone access also.  After you get it to work, you should back off the share's everyone permissions to read-only.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It looks like F: is a disk on a family PC.  Is that correct?

If so, then you need to share the folder on the PC, and set the permissions on the shared folder so that the NAS can read it.  You will need to enable the SMB 1/CIFS server if you are running Windows 10.

Then you'd use \\192.168.1.71\FAMILY (no F:\ in the path).

Another way to do this is to run a backup program on the PC on a schedule, instead of using a NAS backup job.  FreeFileSync is one of several options that you can use.  This wouldn't require enabling the SMB 1 server on the PC.  Plus the backup schedule can be set up to power up the PC (and power it down when the backup is finished) - which can be convenient if the PC isn't on 24/7.

Message 2 of 7
JasonCP
Aspirant

Hi again StephenB,

I can confirm that the SMB 1/CIFS server is enabled (ticked)

I have done away with the F:\

When I now click the GO button on the ReadyNAS Frontview, I get the same message as I got before, yet now it has kicked in the email alerts - so I must be on the right path.

The trouble I think now is the file sharing on the PC.

I am using Windows 10. When I right click on the FAMILY folder on the PC and select properties, then select sharing - the share icon is showing as enabled (blue border). By clicking on this it then populates another pop-up and asks "people to share with". From the drop-down the only options is Jason (me), everyone and new user.

I have tried the everyone selection (as it is only me using the NAS) - but this still causes the backup to fail.

I do feel that I am getting closer though.

Thanks so much for getting me to this stage.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

If you have another PC, you can try accessing the share from that PC.  That could give you some clues on what might be wrong.

One thing to check - you need both network access and file access for the NAS.  So also right-click on the folder, and look at the file permissions.  You might need to set them to everyone access also.  After you get it to work, you should back off the share's everyone permissions to read-only.

Message 4 of 7
JasonCP
Aspirant

Hi Stephen B,

Thanks again for your help with this matter - it is greatly apreciated from my end.

I have tried and tried and the frustation is setting in.

I have set up a new folder called TEST1 (all uppercase) on my computers C drive. This folder has one excel file in it.

I have shared this folder to everyone. It now shows as shared:

\\Jason\test1

On the ReadyNAS I have set up the new share, public was ticked. CIFS is enabled to read/write. HTTP/S is disabled.

I attach a capture of the backup page settings.

Once I select GO, the Status turns to starting, then the email comes in from the NAS alert system saying:

Error encountered copying data from remote source path //192.168.1.71/TEST1 ==> /TEST1/ due to permission denial on one or more files

The Log created is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INCREMENTAL Backup started. Sun Dec 20 10:17:01 GMT 2020

Job: 006
Source: //192.168.1.71/TEST1
Destination: [TEST1]/

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Backup failed. Sun Dec 20 10:17:03 GMT 2020.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from remote source path //192.168.1.71/TEST1 ==> /TEST1/ due to permission denial on one or more files

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INCREMENTAL Backup started. Sun Dec 20 10:15:23 GMT 2020

Source: //192.168.1.71/JASON\TEST1

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Backup finished. Sun Dec 20 10:15:24 GMT 2020

FULL Backup started. Sun Dec 20 10:14:20 GMT 2020

Source: //192.168.1.71/TEST1

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Backup failed. Sun Dec 20 10:14:21 GMT 2020.

Reason for failure:

On the computer running windows 10 - again, I have checked that : Turn windows features on or off - SMB 1.0/CIFS File sharing support is ticked.

This has enabled all three subfolders: SMB 1.0CIFS Automatic removal,SMB 1.0CIFS Client and SMB 1.0CIFS Server.

I don't know what else to do - as this is very much a learning curve for me, being new to NAS storage.

Thanking you again, very much in advance for your time.

Jason C-P.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

As I tried to say before, there are two different sets of permissions on the PC (and the NAS for that matter).  One is the network permissions (e.g., sharing).  The other is the file permissions (which apply even on the same machine).  I suspect your problem is that the file permissions are not allowing access.

If you are using a local Windows account (not the microsoft one that uses an email address), you can put the windows username and password in the backup job.

Or you can right-click on the TEST1 folder on the PC, and look at the file permissions there (and make sure that everyone access is set up for the folder and all files that are in the folder).

Or you switch to FreeFileSync (or some other backup tool running on the PC), and set the backup destination to be the NAS.  Then you don't use the backup jobs in the NAS at all.

Message 6 of 7
JasonCP
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Thanks again for your very valued comments. I have downloaded FreeFileSync, and will try that.

Take care, and thanks again for your super support. 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements