× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Won't Boot

mitchlee83
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Won't Boot (Case# 15927232)

Hi All,

Hopefully someone will have some recommendations to resolve my issue.

A week or so ago, my NAS notified me that it needed to upgrade its firmware. I logged into the admin panel and let it do it's thing. I was able to use it normally afterward; however, it seems like this is when I started to receive an occasional warning on one of my homeshare backups that it had an error, and I should check the logs. I logged into the admin panel and clicked on "download logs", but the NAS froze and never responded. I waited a while, but at that point the log file never downloaded, I couldn't refresh the web interface, and none of the files would come up on the afp share. So, I begrudgingly did a hard poweroff.

Of course when I tried to start it back up again, it would not. It just sits on "booting...". I have tried booting in a couple different modes:

- Booting in "Don't check disks" mode
- Booting with each of the different disks pulled out individually
- and finally "Reinstall OS"

The NAS never says anything other than "booting..." and "checking FS" and "checking .. C:".. depending on the boot mode I use, but it always ends up with just "booting..".

What's worse, it is not appearing in RAIDar.
Other notes, I do not have any special modules installed except ReadyNAS Remote. I also never set up SSH.

Thanks in advance.
Mitch
Message 1 of 18
mitchlee83
Aspirant

I am able to PING the IP address that belongs to the ReadNAS and ca see in my router that the correct MAC address is associated with the IP. For what that's worth. But, when I try to connect via HTTP or AFP, it says the IP address cannot be found, so I'm assuming those services never start up.
Message 2 of 18
mitchlee83
Aspirant

Update, I just tried booting normally again, and the NAS showed up in RAIDar while it was "Checking .. C:\". But, after completing that process, it is now "Testing disk 3" and no longer visible in RAIDar.

The last time it showed "Testing disk #", it stayed on that screen for over 24 hours without updating.
Message 3 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please contact tech support and open a tech support case. Post your case number in the thread title (i.e. edit the title of the first post).
Message 4 of 18
mitchlee83
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Won't Boot (Case# 15927232)

I've been instructed to boot in Tech Support mode. It now appears to be doing nothing - displaying "DebugMode [53580] 0.0.0.0".
Message 5 of 18
mitchlee83
Aspirant

After rebooting, 0.0.0.0 has been replaced with the correct IP. I cannot access via admin panel or AFP. RAIDar shows the box, but the SETUP button is disabled and the info column says "TELNET - 53580".
Message 6 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Tech Support mode is for tech support access only to your NAS. It only goes through the very earliest of stages of the boot process. It can be used to diagnose a problem when there's a major issue e.g. on your disks that prevents the NAS from booting properly. You have no access to the NAS apart from what you can see in RAIDar whilst the NAS is in tech support mode.
Message 7 of 18
mitchlee83
Aspirant

Just so I know what's happening, does this mean they are accessing my NAS remotely? The email said, boot in Tech Support Mode. At the bottom, it said in red, "this will resolve your issue". Haha.

Is this a "phone home" state where the NAS initiates the remote debug itself?
Message 8 of 18
mitchlee83
Aspirant

ReadyNAS admin was able to log in and fix the issue. Turns out the log file was so large it had filled the OS space and the system couldn't finish booting. He cleared the file, and all is good.
Message 9 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the update. Glad they resolved it. In tech support mode the NAS tunnels a secure connection back to NetGear (no need to open any ports on router) and the tech then logs in, diagnoses the problem and attempts to fix it, if possible.

What version of RAIDiator are you running?
Message 10 of 18
Chels_P
Aspirant

I have had this exact same problem with a ReadyNAS Pro I am managing for a client. It has happened on two occasions in the past two weeks.

Mitch, can you please tell me if you had ReadyNAS Vault backups running at the time you attempted to download logs?
Message 11 of 18
mitchlee83
Aspirant

I don't have ReadyNAS vault backup.

I wonder if "Clear Logs" clears both the current and archived logs. If so, I guess you could clear the logs, then repeat the action that causes any error, then download the smaller logs. Unfortunately, my NAS files are too mission-critical for me to be down another week while tech support fixes it again, so I'm just not going to touch it.
Message 12 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can clear the logs, either for a specific backup job under Backup > Backup Job Listing, or the logs more generally under Status > Logs.

You can download the logs (Status > Logs > Download all Logs) every once and a while via Frontview. Extract the contents of the zip file and take a look at disk_usage.log. There'll be a 4GB OS partition mentioned there. If that gets anywhere near full then you know there's a problem, possibly a log file getting bigger and bigger.

It's a good idea if you haven't already to try updating to the latest firmware and if using an add-ons ensure you are running the latest versions of those.
Message 13 of 18
mitchlee83
Aspirant

Yeah, the problem I had was when I tried to download the log file, it apparently grew so big it wouldn't let the NAS boot. So, I'm reluctant to click "download logs" again.
Message 14 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Downloading the logs would only be a problem if the root partition was already pretty much full.

Those with shell access to the NAS can easily check this before downloading the logs.
Message 15 of 18
mitchlee83
Aspirant

Unfortunately, I'm reluctant to enable SSH access, because it potentially voids the warranty / tech support.
Message 16 of 18
beisser1
Aspirant

it only voids support if you screw up your system via ssh.. simply enabling it will not void anything.
Message 17 of 18
steveoelliott
Luminary

Surely there should be a way for the logs to be cleared completely? At what point do the logs wrap?

There must be a size limit for the logs either collectively or per file at which point they start over.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements