× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS and RSYNC -- Files not showing up on ReadyNAS

maliciousa
Aspirant

ReadyNAS and RSYNC -- Files not showing up on ReadyNAS

I'm trying to set up an RSYNC to copy data from my external hard drive on my iMac over to my ReadyNAS.  I've been schmoozing around with this for probably 6+ hours, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the files to show up on the ReadyNAS.  

The RSYNC process goes through all of the files but nothing shows up on the ReadyNAS.  I also get no errors.  I've checked to make sure that RSYNC is enabled on the ReadyNAS and the folder I'm trying to send the data to.  If I run the same command but set the destination to any place on my iMac, it works fine and the file is copied over.

my command is:

rsync -a --progress "/Volumes/My Book/" "admin@10.0.0.2:iTunes_Library"

If there is a better or easier way to get this done, I'd love to hear it.  I have almost a TB of data I need to back up.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried running a backup job on the ReadyNAS using the Rsync protocol?

Message 2 of 5
maliciousa
Aspirant

I also tried that last night as well, but didn't really get it to work.  It just says it failed to connect to the host whether I use the IP or Hostname of my iMac.  My suspicions are that I need something else running on my iMac (rsync daemon?) for the NAS to connect.  If that's the case, I don't even know where to begin as far as configuring and setting it up and I've been unable to make sense of all the stuff online that I've seen.  I'm pretty new to the Mac OS X world.

I did get the NAS to connect via Windows/NAS, but it won't actually backup the files.  It just connects and then says it's finished.

I failed to mention that my ReadyNAS is running the latest firmware, I'm running the latest version of El Capitan and I have the latest drivers for the WD My Book that is attached to the iMac.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You have a share called iTunes_Library on the ReadyNAS, and rsync is enabled for it as a protocol?  If so, I think you might need to use /iTunes_Library

Another option is to try FreeFileSync.

Message 4 of 5
maliciousa
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen. You are completely correct in that I have a folder called "iTunes_Library" on the NAS and rsync is enabled.

Last night I did try changing to /iTunes_Library and now I'm getting a code 12 protocol stream error.  I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it to work, so incidentally I did download FreeFileSync and it is working.

I do prefer to use rsync, but if it won't work out for me it's ok.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements