× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS antivirus stopped updating

mpence
Tutor

ReadyNAS antivirus stopped updating

My ReadyNAS stopped receiving antivirus updates on March 19th 2018.  I suspected that the problem was DPI-SSL scanning on my Sonicwall 5600, because in the past that has caused problems with ReadyNAS firmware updates but that is not the case.  I excluded the ReadyNAS from DPI-SSL scanning but the the antivirus update continues to fail. Does anyone have a suggestion where to look next?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

If you have ssh enabled, you could try entering  host -t txt current.cvd.clamav.net and see if that resolves without printing an error.

You could also try executing freshclam and see if it updates successfully.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Can you confirm that the NAS can reach the internet generally?  One way to test that is to turn NTP off and then on again.

Message 2 of 9
mpence
Tutor

Yes I do have access to the internet.  The firmware update still connects and downloads updates.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You are running 6.9.3?

Message 4 of 9
mpence
Tutor

Yes I am running version 6.9.3. 

Message 5 of 9
mpence
Tutor

I did disable NTP, changed the time, then enabled NTP and set the time server to time.google.com. Time immediately updated correctly.

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If you have ssh enabled, you could try entering  host -t txt current.cvd.clamav.net and see if that resolves without printing an error.

You could also try executing freshclam and see if it updates successfully.

Message 7 of 9
mpence
Tutor

Thank you for your assistance.

After enabling ssh I ran freshclam -v.

After ignoring several mirrors because of previous errors the update finally started. All updates are now complete.  Is this something that I will need to do on a daily basis or should the updates start working correctly now?  I am wondering if I need to update ClamAV to a newer version?  I did get a warning during the update that the installation is outdated.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You shouldn't need to do this routinely - I'd just keep on eye on the definitions updates.

Also, since the service is integrated into the ReadyNAS firmware, I wouldn't try to update the application itself.  Netgear should be doing that as needed.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements