× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS antivirus stopped updating

Jay_6
Aspirant

ReadyNAS antivirus stopped updating

My RN102 ReadyNAS was updating the antivirus definitions without fault up until 3 March 2019, but I have not received any updates since then. The latest version I have is 58.25377.

Have there been any antivirus updates since then? If so, how can I go about getting the latest installed on my ReadyNAS? My firmware version is 6.9.5, and the internet connection seems to be working fine. Thanks for your help!

Model: RN10222D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

There are quite a few RN100 owners here who've gotten full OS systems in March - are you seeing that also?

It's no longer available on the RN100 series starting with 6.10.0.  So personally I think you should just disable the service.  

Message 2 of 5
Jay_6
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen. So if I disable the antivirus, what other options do I have to protect the ReadyNAS from viruses?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Jay_6 wrote:

Thanks Stephen. So if I disable the antivirus, what other options do I have to protect the ReadyNAS from viruses?

If files are only written to the NAS by your PCs, then running AV on those PCs is likely enough - since the files would already have been scanned before you put them on the NAS.

But you could use an AV package on one of your PCs that is set up to scan network shares.  This might be simpler if you mount the NAS data volume as a drive letter on that PC.

Another option would be to upgrade the NAS to a currently shipping platform (RN200, RN400, RN520, RN620).  Personally I wouldn't do that to get AV, but it would also give you faster speeds.

@Jay_6 wrote:

. So if I disable the antivirus?

Truth is, you won't have much choice in this.  Netgear is removing it from the RN100s because they no longer have the capacity to run it stably.  The memory in the RN100 is only 512 MB - that seemed enough for an entry-level NAS back in 2013, but as OS-6 has matured it's memory requirements have increased.  All the currently shipping platforms have at least 2 GB.

Note I don't work for Netgear.

Message 4 of 5
Jay_6
Aspirant

Thanks for that information StephenB. That helps clarify the situation for me.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements