× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS becomes unresponsive - could it be tied to FW6.4 and backups?

Scads
Aspirant

Yes, it was. Now 6.4.1 has solved the backup problem, in any case.

Thanks for your help.

Message 26 of 35
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Scads,

Thank you for you feedback. Other users who have encountered the same problem will see this post useful and helpful.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 27 of 35
Sgt_Torpedo
Aspirant

I have a RN104 with 2 3TB drives and it becomes unresponsive during a network backup to a Western Digital EX2 3TB NAS. It also is unresponsive during a backup operation from a Windows 10 Pro using the MS Windows 7 software. My conclusion is that during a heavy load, the RN104 just ignores incoming requests. I have not done any real troubleshooting since I just closed a support ticket when the FW update to 6.4 lost the RAID volume. (Netgear support was able to recover the volume.)

Is this an issue being addressed in the next FW release? If it is and is coming SOON, I will patiently wait. If not, it will be another thing on my list of reasons to steer people away from ReadyNAS units.

Thanks for the help.

Message 28 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Sgt_Torpedo wrote:

I have a RN104 with 2 3TB drives and it becomes unresponsive during a network backup to a Western Digital EX2 3TB NAS. It also is unresponsive during a backup operation from a Windows 10 Pro using the MS Windows 7 software.

There is one RAID stability fix in 6.4.2 beta - might be worth a try.

Message 29 of 35
Sgt_Torpedo
Aspirant

The bug fix list looks like it may adderss the issue, but I will wait until I dont need to downgrade the FW before I upgrade it. I am using FW 6.4.1 and just recovered from a major error when the unit lost the RAID volume.

Thanks

WARNINGS:

• Devices updated with 6.4.2 BETA firmware cannot be downgraded to versions of the firmware earlier than 6.4.0.
  • ReadyNAS 102, 104, and 2120 must not be updated directly from 6.3.0 - 6.3.4 to 6.4.x.  They must first be updated to either 6.2.x or 6.3.5.
Message 30 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Sgt_Torpedo wrote:

The bug fix list looks like it may adderss the issue, but I will wait until I dont need to downgrade the FW before I upgrade it. I am using FW 6.4.1 and just recovered from a major error when the unit lost the RAID volume.

Thanks

WARNINGS:

• Devices updated with 6.4.2 BETA firmware cannot be downgraded to versions of the firmware earlier than 6.4.0.
  • ReadyNAS 102, 104, and 2120 must not be updated directly from 6.3.0 - 6.3.4 to 6.4.x.  They must first be updated to either 6.2.x or 6.3.5.

You must be misunderstanding the warnings.  You can directly install 6.4.2 beta on a 6.4.1 system (I did it myself yesterday).

If you want to switch back to 6.4.1, you can easily downgrade - just manually install 6.4.1 from the web ui.

Message 31 of 35
Sgt_Torpedo
Aspirant

I will give it a try later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks

Message 32 of 35
JackofAll
Aspirant

I have a simliar problem.  I have a ReadyNAS 2120.  We are running Symantec System Recovery.  The NAS will become unresponive randomly and the backups will fail.  We've isolated the occurance to two backup operations each are about 100GB.  We've since disabled the backups and the NAS has been online for two days without incident.  This is a temporary solution as the two production servers need to be backed up locally.

Hopefully this isn't another firmware bug.

Message 33 of 35
Scads
Aspirant

JackofAll,

I don't know which system you're using, or which firmware. However, my problems were mostly solved by FW 6.4.1, and I'm now on 6.4.2. The NAS is now working and backing up reliably, though Antivirus still wont work properly and Power Off does not work. The problem of unreliability was certainly down to FW 6.4.0 in my opinion.

Regards

Model: RN10222D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 34 of 35
Absolute1
Aspirant

We've had problems with OS 6 since the beginning. 3 seperate Cases (which all get closed despite no fix).

In both cases it's with large backups, like other have mentioned, once you try to back up 2+Tbs to an external drive the system locks up, shares and files being worked on drop off. 

What we've narrowd it down to is as soon as the backup starts (regardless of the backup drive being pluggedin) the system goes slow or just stops sharing.

the client has a 516 and we've cloned his settings and data to a 104 in our workshop, and like others all went well until we restored the entire 5Tb's of data and tried to backup.

Hi Netgear: these are the case refs incase you can reopen and sort. (includes some 106 e-mail responses)

September 2013 #21894601

December 2013 # 22117684

October 2015 #25896827

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless,RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements