× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS couldn't update Antivirus, then System volume 'root' usage was 85 %, now I can't boot..

Langzik_NAS
Tutor

ReadyNAS couldn't update Antivirus, then System volume 'root' usage was 85 %, now I can't boot...

Hi all,

I have 2 identical ReadyNAS 516 systems (with only different storage capacities and content); one is working fine, and the other one seems to have gone crazy. I am 99% certain that BOTH Operating Systems are/were at version 6.9.3 in Raid 5 configuration. For the most part, I use the NAS for streaming/accessing media throughout the house and to house assets/resources for content creation.

Last wednesday, I had my internet modem upgraded. I put this upgrade to use immediately by transferring files from my old NAS to my newer one (which has a much larger storage capacity). About a week later, I tried to update the Plex app on my system because a device was having sound issues when videos were being streamed to it (via Plex), but the app refused to update. I tried using different browsers and restarting the NAS in an effort to get the process to work, but to no avail. When I finally checked the logs in Frontview, I noticed an error of "Volume: System volume 'root' usage is 85 %", which had been popping up over and over again along with a message to reach out to tech support because it's abnormal. Additionally, I noticed that it had started at approximately the same time that another error about the antivirus being unable to update had started, which began showing up the day after the modem was replaced [without me realizing]. Being the kind of person that doesn't want to bother tech support before trying to see if I can fix it myself (and because it looks like my access to support has expired according to myNetgear), I checked on the forums for a solution; it seemed that everyone who had the root usage problem could trace it back to an overly-large database file of sorts. I began by trying to uninstall some excess apps, but the problem seemed to get worse; Frontview would sometimes refuse the request and/or suddenly claim that there weren't any apps on the device at all. Some users communicated that clearing the logs helped; in a panic, I tried doing that, but I was prompted with a message communiating that this wasn't possible and that I should contact tech support (it even opened my Outlook and I sent a message; that was 2 days ago and I haven't heard anything back), then after a restart, all the logs were gone (aside from the same errors coming up as before).

When trying to SSH into the device, Frontview would become inaccessible altogether. After a restart, I began looking at the Settings > Services, to see what I could turn off, and realized SSH wasn't even active, so I activated it (thinking that maybe this was the problem)... well... now I can't even boot up my device (it gets stuck in the 92-99% range); most recently, it's been in the process of booting for over a day now, seemingly stuck at 92%...

[Likely because it isn't fully booted] I can't access Frontview, I can't see the device in File Explorer, I can't SSH into the system to view anything, and I can't get any system to show up on RAIDar v6.4, so now I'm totally blind and have no idea how to proceed.

As far as I can tell, the HDs are fine (all lights are blue), and the problem seems to be related to the OS root itself; I considered an OS re-instal, but that seems heavy-handed if indeed the issue ends up simply being a large database file in the root... plus, every time I touch this thing, everything seems to get worse, so I'm starting to feel a little insecure about taking any additional steps myself without consulting tech support at this stage. Thoughts? Advice?  Smiley Frustrated

Thanks in advance for anyone's input. Smiley Happy

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS couldn't update Antivirus, then System volume 'root' usage was 85 %, now I can't boot..

I don't recommend an OS reinstall, as that will just try to put more files into the full OS partition.

You can still get paid netgear support at my.netgear.com.  Also if you purchased between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016 you have lifetime chat support.

How proficient are you with the linux command line?

Message 2 of 18
Langzik_NAS
Tutor

Thanks for the heads up Stephen.

1. I'll mentally shelve that OS reinstall option then! (lol) Smiley Happy

2. It looks like I'm not covered by those criterion (I bought my NAS in Feb of 2014, and the second one in Dec of 2017); story of my life, I always fall between these cracks (lol). I'm super strapped for cash, so I likely won't be able to afford extra support at the moment unfortunately (unless a miracle happens)Smiley Indifferent

3. I'm basically a newb when it comes to Linux; I've tinkered with BASH in a course, but I definitely consider myself far from proficiently competent. Also, contextually speaking, I'm not feeling particularly confident given that this system's seemingly self-destructing a little bit more every time I make any move at all. Having said that, [depending on the level of complexity] I'm willing to try the command-line approach if there's no other option (only because I'm desperate), but my main concern is data loss, given that we're talking about almost 18TB, which would definitely feel like a crushing catastrophy to lose... I'd probably have a very hard time even looking at the unit for a few months if I were to lose that data [to be honest]Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Cleaning the root partition does require some linux skills, since you can do more damage if you make a mistake.  Also, the procedure isn't cook-book - you need to first determine where the space is going, and the remediation depends on that analysis.  Sometimes the full OS partition results in some corruption to the configuration files on the NAS, and in those cases they need to be manually repaired.

Someone from Netgear here might offer to help, otherwise I suggest powering down the NAS for now, and engaging paid support when you can afford it.

Longer term, you should put a backup plan in place since RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  (I realize that costs, but unfortunately there is no other way to protect your data from loss).

Message 4 of 18
Langzik_NAS
Tutor

Thanks again for your insight Stephen;

For the sake of clarification, my interpretation of what you're saying is that there isn't a clear "one-size-fits-all" solution, and thus the remedy requires a contextual finess of sorts, otherwise I would likely do more harm than good.

I'll power it down for now (after a reboot yesterday, it's stuck at 99% today), and brush up on my Linux skills in the event that my only opportunity to fix this requires me to take that risk. Given that I can't fully boot, how would I even get the chance to interact with my unit? Physically connect a monitor/TV via HDMI and plug a keyboard directly into the back? And would I need to boot a portable version of Linux from a usb to navigate through the ReadyNAS, or is Linux itself booted/available with the ReadyNAS OS being a separate layer/wrapper of sorts? Man Frustrated

&& you're 100% right about having a backup solution of course; my situation is entirely circumstancial, it's never been my intention to live vicariously (illness wiped out 'my life', and it's been a super long and ongoing road to recovery). By backup plan, I'm assuming you mean either an offsite [online] backup solution or a separate file system specifically set up for file redundancy (like one NAS periodically making a differential backup of the other).

Thanks again for your help StephenMan Happy

[I thought I hit send 3 days ago, apparently I didn't; my NAS has been turned off since I read your feedback]

Message 5 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Langzik_NAS wrote:

I'll power it down for now (after a reboot yesterday, it's stuck at 99% today), and brush up on my Linux skills in the event that my only opportunity to fix this requires me to take that risk. Given that I can't fully boot, how would I even get the chance to interact with my unit? Physically connect a monitor/TV via HDMI and plug a keyboard directly into the back? And would I need to boot a portable version of Linux from a usb to navigate through the ReadyNAS, or is Linux itself booted/available with the ReadyNAS OS being a separate layer/wrapper of sorts? Man Frustrated

Normally you'd boot up the NAS in tech support mode, and access it with ssh/putty.  Then you can manually mount the OS partition on the disks and examine it - truncating any oversize logs for instance.

So you don't need to use the console output (though that can also be done).

@Langzik_NAS wrote:

By backup plan, I'm assuming you mean either an offsite [online] backup solution or a separate file system specifically set up for file redundancy (like one NAS periodically making a differential backup of the other).

Yes.  Or USB drives if you like.

Personally I do back up my NAS to other NAS, and also use Crashplan for offsite/disaster recovery.  I run Crashplan on a PC (mapping the NAS data volume to a PC drive letter).

Message 6 of 18
Langzik_NAS
Tutor

Nice; sounds like a sweet setup @StephenB [SUPERUSER Guru StephenB]. Ultimately my endeavour will be to have a rack-mounter server; I don't think a PC will be enough to give me what I'm looking for [given my insatiable appetite for data storage], but then... $$$.   Smiley Happy

Anyway, now that I've briefly brushed up on some BASH [command-line] study material; let's start from the beginning (before I somehow mess this all up)...

RECAP: At around the same time as my anti-virus suddenly started stating that it was unable to update, I began getting:

Volume: System volume 'root' usage is 85 %. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Please contact technical support.

Downloading the logs became impossible, attempting to clear them seemed equally futile and unhelpful. After enabling SSH and unsuccessfully attempting to log in, I got locked out of Frontview as my system became unable to fully boot. Access to Technical Support [as advised/instructed in the error] also appears out of reach.

So, the SOLUTION?...

1. Given that I can't fully boot my NAS normally anymore after enabling SSH on my ReadyNAS 516 via Frontview, I need to boot via tech support mode (given that I've effectively been locked out using all other means interacting with the NAS) using the instructions here:
https://kb.netgear.com/23005/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-316-516-716

(hold down the reset button at the back of the ReadyNAS while booting up until the Boot Menu pops up, at which point one should use the arrows to select Tech Support mode).

[According to the LCD panel at the front of my device] This brings me into the "Debugging Mode", along with a number of some sort (a unique identifier perhaps?) in square brackets and the local IP Address.

2. Next, I use Putty to TELNET into my NAS using the following:

IP ADDRESS (now displayed on the LCD of the ailing ReadyNAS on my network)
PORT 23 (SSH would be Port 22 if one had access to that alternative)

3. Next I need to log in [using 'Netgear Tech staff' account credentials(?) based on instructions found here]

root / infr8ntdebug

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

- this is where I stopped so far because I'm worried about bricking my device -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

4. At this point, I need to mount the OS using a shell command (based on the same source above)

echo DEVICE partitions > /etc/mdadm.conf
mdadm --examine --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf
mdadm --assemble --scan
mount /dev/md0 /mnt

OR (based on a different source)

start_raid.sh
mount /dev/md0 /sysroot

Not sure which option to run with here...

NOTE: My understing is that the "md0" portion of the code above implies that I'm utilizing X-Raid, which I'm likely using given that the RAID 5 configuration I enabled on OS 6.9.3 (x86) is said to somehow relate to this setup parameter).

5. OPTIONAL: To view the logs,

# View 5000 lines of system logs via journalctl
journalctl -a --no-pager --lines 5000 _SYSTEMD_UNIT=readynasd.service

another possible place to look would be:

#--------------------------------------------------#
#\\\\\\\\\\\\| CHECKING LOG FILES |////////////#
#\\\\\\\\\\\\| [for beginners] |////////////#
# STEP 1: Using the 'cd' command, navigate to the following absolute path address: cd /var/log

# STEP 2: LIST ALL files & folders [including hidden ones] within that directory in 'HUMAN-READABLE' format SORTED in REVERSE order.
ls -al -h --sort=size -r

# STEP 3: View a Log File directly in the commandline window
cat "<Exact_filename.extension>"
#OR if it's too big, use 'less' to view it in a scrollable page-based format#
less "<Exact_filename.extension>"

# STEP 4: Consider repeating the steps above for the following locations:
cd /usr
cd /etc

6. Given the original error/warning indicating that I should reach out to Tech Support, either:

A) The OS partition is being filled up (typically by a huge log file), in which case the offending file(s) would be copied onto the data volume (just in case), and removed from the OS partition.

#\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\| WORKFLOW |//////////////#
#\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\| [for beginners] |//////////////#
# NOTE FOR BEGINNERS: Don't forget that you can add the --help flag on most commands to get an overview of what it does
#- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
#-[ PART 1 ]- All items in this section will be non-invasive and non-destructive, so relax, these commands can't mess anything up.
# STEP 0: [OPTIONAL] Display the 'DISK FILE-SYSTEM' information in 'HUMAN-READABLE' format [for reference]
df -h

#
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
# STEP 1: Display 'DISK USAGE' of ALL Files & Folders in 'HUMAN-READABLE' format, with 1 LEVEL of folder display DEPTH
## NOTE: The location '/' is the root starting point
du -ah --max-depth=1 / | sort -h

# STEP 1.5: Likely areas of investigation will likely be [var, usr, etc]:
## NOTE: Adjust 'max-depth' to allow the computer to do more work for you (at the expense of processing power & [potentially] time)
du -ah --max-depth=3 /var/log | sort -h
du -ah --max-depth=3 /usr | sort -h
du -ah --max-depth=3 /etc | sort -h

# STEP 2: Based on the outcome(s), navigate to abnormally large looking folders (where <location> refers to the address) and repeat STEP 1
## NOTE: Addresses starting in '/' are ABSOLUTE addresses, whereas those starting in './' are RELATIVE to the current location
cd "<location>"

# STEP 2.5: Alternately, one could plug the questionable folder <location> directly into the code in Step 1
du -ah --max-depth=3 "<location>" | sort -h

# STEP 3: [OPTIONAL] After identifying a potentially misbehaving file, view its properties via:
## OPTION A: "ls" to LIST ALL files & folders in current directory; SORTED based on SIZE in REVERSE order (largest files last)
## NOTE: Includes properties by default, & the '-h' flag makes it 'Human-Readable'
# To view the details of the file in relation to the others in the current folder
ls -al -h --sort=size -r
#OR [same as previous] if the file is in another folder#
ls -al -h "<location>" --sort=size -r
#OR to get the details of ONLY that specific file#
ls -l -h "<location>/<Exact_filename.extension>"

## OPTION B: "stat" to get more STATUS-related details of a particular file
stat "<location>/<Exact_filename.extension>"

#-[ PART 2 ]- All items in this section will be invasive and/or destructive; be very careful from here-on in.
# STEP 4: COPY the suspected offending file/folder to a new location [not on the root volume] by FORCE & use VERBOSE mode for feedback
## OPTION A [if it's a file]
cp -f -v "<original location>/<Exact_filename.extension>" "<new location>/<Exact_filename.extension>"
## OPTION B [if it's a folder]
cp -f -v "<original location>" "<new location>"

# STEP 4.5: Check to confirm that the file has in fact been copied
ls -al -h "<new location>"

# STEP 5: REMOVE the suspected offending file by FORCE from the conflicted location & use VERBOSE mode for feedback

## NOTE: You can string together multiple file in the same line
cd "<original_location>"
rm -f -v "<Exact_filename.extension>"
#OR#
rm -f -v "<original_location>/<Exact_filename.extension>"

#OTHERWISE, if it's an entire directory#
cd "<original_location>"
rmdir -f -v "<directory to delete>"
#OR#

rmdir -f -v "<original_location>/<directory to delete>"

OR

B) The inodes were all being used up, in which case, a different command would be needed [to seek out a huge number of small files on the OS partition].

# Display information of the 'Disk File-System' in 'Human-Readable' format, listing inode info instead of block usage
df -i -h

[I have no idea where I would go from here here if it's an inode-related issue]

7. At this point I need to properly unmount the OS somehow (?), restart the NAS, and evaluate my success based on whether I can boot correctly, access Frontview, and if the logs don't display any errors (?). Otherwise, I should consider reversing the previous changes if conditions remain the same [or deteriorate further], and consult with the community to gauge which file(s)/folder(s) may be a more likely culprit of my issue(s)

NOTE 1: In my particular case, given that I have the ReadyNAS 516, the OS partition is only ~4GB in size, so that's something I'll need to keep in mind while looking at the files [for the sake of having a contextual reference point].

NOTE 2: I'm more of a computer artist than a programmer, so I wrote this for absolute beginners [like me] having these issues. 

Feedback? [please, & thanks again for any help/support anyone can provide]  Smiley Happy

- Tommy Langzik

Message 7 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Langzik_NAS wrote:

Not sure which option to run with here... 

Of course you are on your own if you do damage with SSH, so it is important to be careful here.  Overall, your process steps are drawn from posts dealing with different ReadyNAS platforms, so some of this won't work on your NAS.

In almost all OS 6 x86 NAS, the OS partition is formated as BTFRS, and the inodes stuff doesn't apply to that file system.  The only situation where you'd be running ext for the OS partition is when you've migrated the disks from an OS-6 arm NAS.

Message 8 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

# start_raid.sh

is for RAIDiator.

For OS6 you'd use

# start_raids

Before blindly starting the RAID it is best practice to check the SMART stats of the disks using smartctl and check the state of the RAID using mdadm with the -E option.

When you're done you'd

umount the root volume (be sure to change the working directory first using the cd command)

# cd
# umount /sysroot

and stop the RAID

# mdadm --stop --scan

and check to confirm that it's stopped

# cat /proc/mdstat

The thing is though that with a full root volume additional problems may occur. It may not be simply a matter of removing the files that are filling the root volume that shouldn't be. Some configuration may be corrupted as well.

Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, we'd gotten a bit farther on this via PM.

There are lot of *.m4s files in the root (around 2 GB worth).  These are created by plex for real-time transcoding, so it is possible that something is wrong with the plex installation.

Message 10 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure why that would have happened.

Your data volume is getting very full (over 90% full).

I see there's a newer version of the Plex app available. Perhaps reboot to normal mode and update the Plex app and see if you still have the problem.

I can see you have a number of apps installed and you last did a factory reset way back on 6.0.4.

Message 11 of 18
Langzik_NAS
Tutor

Thanks @mdgm-ntgrSmiley Happy

1. Yeah, I had ~1.5TB left, at which point I began desperately migrating many items [slowly and incrementally] over to a higher-capacity ReadyNAS [in stages].

2. Affirmative, I am aware of the newer Plex app being available; I actually first noticed these problems when I tried to update that specific app and realized nothing was happening (unlike my nearly identical ReadyNAS, on which everything has been working perfectly). When I then went to check the logs via Frontview, I finally noticed the other errors; at which point I started trying to systematically turn off the other apps in an effort to have as few items as possible running (given that I don't use most of them anymore anyway).

3. Unfortunately, I still can't access Frontview nor log in via SSH after rebooting normally (despite everything appearing completely normal on the LCD screen); is there anything we can do to remedy that?

I'll put the unit back into tech support mode for now [given that I seemingly still have no other way of accessing it anyway].

Thanks again for all your efforts and input!  Man Happy

- Tommy

Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

It might be time to consider the brute-force option of making a full backup and doing a factory reset.

Message 13 of 18
Langzik_NAS
Tutor

*facepalm* Man Surprised 

@StephenB [That sounds like more of a 'last resort' final solution, but...]

If I'm interpreting the suggestion correctly, that would entail a grueling 16.5TB file transfer [one way] over a relatively slow and [in my opinion] unreliable home network, unless it could somehow be done by directly connecting both ReadyNAS's [ex. via direct ethernet or USB port connection, neither of which I understand to be a featured option on ReadyNAS systems]. In either event, all of this would also have to be managed through Telnet in Tech Support Mode [given that I currently have no other way of communicating with the ailing device].

As far as I can tell, we've freed up over 1.5GB of a 4GB storage unit/partition where the OS lives, so we can infer that at least 37.5+% space is available for operations there, and [given the LCD screen feedback] we know that the boot cycle is completing. The remaining issue, I speculate, would now be related to either an app, a feature, or a possible corruption of some sort of OS-related file (or files)Robot Happy

Thus, given the contextual volatility involved with attempting to fully backup a massive amount of data over a weak unreliable network, I personally wonder if it make more sense to first Telnet in [as before]stop as many apps & [non-essential] features as possible from running on startup, & restart normally. If that doesn't solve the issue, I would imagine that the problem resides in files related to Frontview (some of which I'm guessing we could safely manually repair or otherwise over-write if they appear corrupted in some obvious way); after which point, [if further remediation is necessary] I would anticipate that an OS re-install would take precedence over a full factory reset (given that it seems far less risky/extreme).

Thoughts [anyone]Smiley Happy

Also, QUESTION:

@mdgm-ntgr@StephenB; given that you both mentioned the Factory Reset, is there a typical time-frame or version differential that I [or anyone else] should regard as a reference point for which to plan for [both regular &/or unexpected] scenarios necessitating Factory Resets? I've always regarded Factory Resets as more of a 'nuclear bomb' option, so I haven't ever historically gravitated in that direction unless it was my understanding that all hope [of fixing things] had been completely exhausted...

Message 14 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Not sure how much time @mdgm-ntgr can commit, but he could possibly repair the damage remotely if he can access the system.

@Langzik_NAS wrote:

I've always regarded Factory Resets as more of a 'nuclear bomb' option, 

It is a nuclear bomb option.  Though I always assume any piece of equipment I known can fail, so I maintain backups of my NAS (including a cloud copy for disaster protection).  That makes rebuilding the NAS quicker, and also prevents panic when troubleshooting Smiley Surprised

If you have reached the point of pulling the trigger, you could try an OS reinstall now that you've freed up some OS space.  Odds of success aren't great, but you'd have nothing to lose.

@Langzik_NAS wrote:

all of this would also have to be managed through Telnet in Tech Support Mode

Yes.  You'd have to manually mount the data volume, and also manually mount USB drives.  From there you could use linux copy commands ("cp") or use rsync to copy the data.

It would be tedious, and you'd likely need to purchase USB disks.

Not ideal, but if we can't get it to boot at some point it becomes the only option left.

Message 15 of 18
Langzik_NAS
Tutor

UPDATE:

I know it's been a while, but for anyone interested in this case, mdgm ended up fixing the problem enough to allow me to get into FrontView (which has been helpful, though I unfortunately don't know what he did). Meanwhile, I've been slowly attempting to migrate items from my lower-capacity NAS onto my higher-capacity NAS in an effort to gradually make more space in general (given that it's come to my attention that 90%+ capacity usage can start generating errors and strange behaviour).

On the flipside, since the previous remedy was employed, I've been unable to successfully interact with the 'System> Settings> Services' items; as a result, it's been a gruling process to move items, given that I no longer have access to SMB. There are no errors or warnings in the logs, but the consistent [detailed] response to my immediate attempts is: "Unable to start or modify service. Code 15002030001".

Netgear Issue.PNG

Netgear Issue Details.PNG

I haven't made a new case for this yet (nor am I sure if that would even be the appropriate course of action), but for now I'm focusing on offloading whatever I [safely] can. At this stage, I have the same error when attempting to enable Antivirus and SSH (both of which are off as a result).

I've casually sought out solutions, but haven't found anything concrete yet. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I'm open to hearing them.  Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance.  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 18
Wickedflies
Aspirant

And how would I get into this lifetime chat support?. I fall between those purchase times. I think mine was 10-24-15. I'm having the same exact thing. Somthing about root at 92%.
Message 17 of 18
StephenB
Guru

It should be available to you on my.netgear.com.

Turn off AntiVirus right away.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements