× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS disk addition

Partha-Dash
Aspirant

ReadyNAS disk addition

Hi All,

We have a ReadyNAS4312 which is currently running with 12TBx8 Hdd's. I am planning to add 4 more 12TB disk drives to free slots

My question is:-

1- Do we need to shutdown and add the drives to free slots? 

2- If we do not get downtime, will there be any impact?

3- Can we create separate volumes out of these 4x12Tb drive addition or is it going to be added

Please suggest 

Thanks

Partha

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS disk addition

@Partha-Dash wrote:

@StephenB 

Thanks for the suggesstions. I have attached a screenshot of the NAS. I think the X-RAID is currenlty OFF. Can you please verify

Yes, it is off.  Here's what it looks like when on:

xraid(2).png

If you want multiple volumes, you might want to review the software manual section on FlexRAID first. https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Partha-Dash wrote:

1- Do we need to shutdown and add the drives to free slots? 

No, you can hot-insert them.

@Partha-Dash wrote:

2- If we do not get downtime, will there be any impact?

There will be no downtime, but performance will be slower when the volume is syncing.

@Partha-Dash wrote:

3- Can we create separate volumes out of these 4x12Tb drive addition or is it going to be added

You can do either.  Just turn off X-RAID first if you want to create additional volumes.  Navigate to the volume page - if the X-RAID control has a green stripe on it, then it is enabled.  Click on it to turn it off.

Message 2 of 13
Partha-Dash
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Thanks for the suggesstions. I have attached a screenshot of the NAS. I think the X-RAID is currenlty OFF. Can you please verify

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Partha-Dash wrote:

@StephenB 

Yes, it is off.  Here's what it looks like when on:

xraid(2).png

If you want multiple volumes, you might want to review the software manual section on FlexRAID first. https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

Message 4 of 13
Partha-Dash
Aspirant

@StephenB Thanks for explanation 

Message 5 of 13
Partha-Dash
Aspirant

@StephenB I have one more Question- Is it ok to add all the new 4 disks at a time or advisable to add one at a time?

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You can add them all at once.  Then create new volume(s) - one at a time - selecting the disks you want in each.  

Message 7 of 13
Partha-Dash
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB 

Message 8 of 13
Partha-Dash
Aspirant

@Partha-Dash wrote:

Thanks @StephenB 

@StephenB i added just one disk to see how much time does this NAS takes to sync. It's been close to 48hrs and still it is syncing

with this speed if it goes then it will take weeks to sync all disks(if i add one by one or at a time)

Can you please advice something here

logs.JPG

NAS-Disk-sync.png

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Partha-Dash wrote:

I added just one disk to see how much time does this NAS takes to sync. It's been close to 48hrs and still it is syncing

with this speed if it goes then it will take weeks to sync all disks(if i add one by one or at a time)

Can you please advice something here

If you are using XRAID (or expanding a flexraid volume), then the sync happens one disk at a time.  That can take a long time, and in many cases it is faster to start over with a new volume (for instance doing a factory reset).

I was under the impression that you were going to create a new volume via FlexRAID.  In that situation, the volume could have been created all at once (without multiple syncs).

Message 10 of 13
Partha-Dash
Aspirant

@StephenB I m not using FLEXRAID. Its turned off

Can you help me understand why it takes longer time when we add a new disk to existing RAID Volume whereas when we replace faulty HDD it takes less time.and is there a way we can minimize the time

Please advice

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Partha-Dash wrote:

why it takes longer time when we add a new disk to existing RAID Volume whereas when we replace faulty HDD it takes less time.

Either way, every sector in the data volume is either read or written as part of the resync.  

The resync time after replacing a disk is slightly less, since the volume isn't growing.  That is, with 4x12 TB, you need 48 TB of disk I/O to resync; if you add a disk you'd have 4x13 TB (or 52 TB).

Message 12 of 13
Partha-Dash
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB for explaning in details

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements