× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS encryption primer?

geojay
Guide

ReadyNAS encryption primer?

I'm existing ReadyNAS user and am conscious that I should really be enrypting my data. Is there a good primer somewhere covering ReadyNAS encryption? I'm conscious that I already have my data on disks and assume I can't encypt them in-situ? Are there any pitfalls to encryption? Any considerations of key management?

Thanks!

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS encryption primer?

Actually, for most users, encrypting the NAS volume makes little sense.  Unless you lock up or remove from the premise the USB key, which makes re-booting a pain, a thief is just going to take the key with the NAS and have full access.  The only thing you gain is that if a drive fails, there is no way to recover the data from the discarded drive.  But do you have any data valuable enough that anyone would even try?

Most users only have a little data that should be encrypted.  I solve that problem by putting a VeraCrypt volume on the NAS and accessing it with VeraCrypt running on my PC.  That does limit access to one user at a time, but that's fine for my use.  Windows BitLocker can be used in a similar manner with a disk image on the NAS.

One word of warning:  Don't enable strict sync on any share containing a VeraCrypt volume, as writes will be painfully slow.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements