× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS error: "mount_block_root+1f1"

nsne
Virtuoso

ReadyNAS error: "mount_block_root+1f1"

After installing the 6.7.3 firmware (6.7.1 > 6.7.3 upgrade), I'm seeing the error message "mount_block_root+1f1" on the LCD. I was going to try the USB Recovery method, but I saw in this similar thread that it isn't working as a go-to solution. I see @mdgm-ntgr has been able to solve this error for @McRob1, so I'm hoping he can do the same here and spell out the steps involved.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
nsne
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNAS error: "mount_block_root+1f1"

USB Recovery with a variety of thumb drives, syslinux.exe versions and 6.7.3/4 didn't work on the unit that was having trouble.

Netgear sent a replacement 314, and the USB Recovery process worked great (on the first try!) for updating the firmware.

So the problem was that 6.7.3 effectively bricked my unit.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 22

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

USB Boot Recovery is the solution. Be sure to right click on usbrecovery.exe and select Run as Administrator.

If USB Boot Recovery doesn't work for you you can try multiple USB keys. Some USB keys are incompatible.

Some users who've had trouble with creating a USB Boot Recovery key with usbrecovery.exe have had success with Rufus

With Rufus you'd select the MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI and select FAT32 as the filesystem (default) and the default cluster size.

Once the mount_block_root error is dealt with if there are any remaining issues we can see whether we can look into those.

Message 2 of 22
nsne
Virtuoso

It's not working. I tried using a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer, but the 314 kept booting as normal even though I was holding the Backup button. That resulted in the "mount_block_root+1f1" error.

Tried formatting the same USB drive using Rufus, but the instructions were unclear. Is "FreeDOS" the right choice? Do I run Rufus and then run usbrecovery.exe? Do I transfer the contents of a USB created with usbrecovery.exe to a Rufus-formatted USB?

Then I tried a Patriot 8GB USB drive. Now the 314 is in this weird state where it says "Netgear Storage / Welcome [ ]" and the power button is flashing. There doesn't appear to be any USB disk activity.

Message 3 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The disk needs to be syslinux bootable.

The same contents of the x86 folder that usbrecovery.exe puts on the USB key need to be put on the USB key.

Rufus should put the syslinux boot loader on the USB key itself if you chose the correct option.

Message 4 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you have updated to 6.7.3 and ran into this issue please try USB Boot Recovery with ReadyNAS OS 6.7.4 which is now available!

If you have not yet upgraded please upgrade to 6.7.4 rather than 6.7.3. If your system has already been fixed I would still suggest updating to 6.7.4 the normal way using the web admin GUI.

If you can't do USB Boot Recovery despite trying multiple different USB keys and following the directions you'll need to contact support.

Message 5 of 22
nsne
Virtuoso

USB Recovery with a variety of thumb drives, syslinux.exe versions and 6.7.3/4 didn't work on the unit that was having trouble.

Netgear sent a replacement 314, and the USB Recovery process worked great (on the first try!) for updating the firmware.

Message 6 of 22
arosy
Tutor

OS 6.7.4 doesn't help really!

I've update the RN516 after the security Mail from Netgear from 6.7.1 and they work after the Restart.

And so I also update also the RN316 from 6.7.1 to 6.7.4.

Now after some Days are both RN bricked with "mount_block_root". 😞

"USB Boot Recovery" only ends with "boot from external USB" and flashing USB-LED.

I try different USB's and one of them is located next to the RN316, because they done Recovery some time before.

Message 7 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try using Rufus to create the recovery key and/or perhaps try an experimental version of USB Boot Recovery with some improvements: https://www.readynas.com/contributed/mdgm/usbbootrecovery/usbrecovery.v2.0.R15-T3.zip

Message 8 of 22
vchen
Initiate

Same thing happend to me on 516. Upgrade to 6.7.1 to 6.7.4 seemed OK.

After power cycle the next day, I'm now getting:

"mount_block_root+1f1"

Message 9 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If all else fails you could contact support.

If you are the original purchaser from an authorised reseller it would still be covered by the 5 year limited hardware warranty from the date of purchase.

Message 10 of 22
vchen
Initiate

Thanks. Confirmed that using the experimental USB Boot Recovery (usbrecovery.v2.0.R15-T3.zip) worked.

This system now boots and files seemed to be intact.

Message 11 of 22
arosy
Tutor

The new USB Boot Recover does help to Start. The RN516 is Running again.

Next try at rn316 today.

Message 12 of 22
arosy
Tutor

The RN316 bis also running again.:)

Message 13 of 22
cengique
Aspirant

nsne wrote:

I just upgraded to OS version 6.7.4 and it also practically bricked my unit. Now I'm getting this error at bootup. Although the first reboot after the upgrade went fine. I will try the USB recovery method.

What's the accepted method for the USB recovery? Do we need to downgrade to before 6.7.3?

Message 14 of 22
cengique
Aspirant

@cengique wrote:

@nsne wrote:

I just upgraded to OS version 6.7.4 and it also practically bricked my unit. Now I'm getting this error at bootup. Although the first reboot after the upgrade went fine. I will try the USB recovery method.

What's the accepted method for the USB recovery? Do we need to downgrade to before 6.7.3?

In particular, do we install the latest 6.7.5 image? I have downloaded the experimental USB recovery tool and placed the 6.7.5 image under x86/, but my when I boot my RN314, it does not go further than saying "Boot from external USB".

Message 15 of 22
mws
Aspirant
Aspirant

So is that the solution when it fails and you went through all the steps, booting to a valid, prepped, FAT32, 32gb thumb drive?  Get them to send a new unit? 

I ran through the posted solution (using fw 6.7.5), and it was booting to the USB drive, but never said anything about firmware.  Then got same error message (mount_block_root+1f1)

I'm going to play with mine some more-- maybe try to boot to an older firmware.  The original failure was after I told it to upgrade to 6.7.4...   

This unit is an RN716x with 6x6tb drives (=single 27tb volume), using firmware 6.7.1 (last time it worked).  Been in service for almost a year with no problems until now.

I have 3 others just like it that all went to 6.7.4 okay, plus some RR3312 (12x10tb=90tb volume) units that also upgraded to 6.7.4 just fine. 

Message 16 of 22
mws
Aspirant
Aspirant

So is that the solution when it fails and you went through all the steps, booting to a valid, prepped, FAT32, 32gb thumb drive?  Get them to send a new unit? 

I ran through the posted solution (using fw 6.7.5), and it was booting to the USB drive, but never said anything about firmware.  Then got same error message (mount_block_root+1f1)

I'm going to play with mine some more-- maybe try to boot to an older firmware.  The original failure was after I told it to upgrade to 6.7.4...   

This unit is an RN716x with 6x6tb drives (=single 27tb volume), using firmware 6.7.1 (last time it worked).  Been in service for almost a year with no problems until now.

I have 3 others just like it that all went to 6.7.4 okay, plus some RR3312 units that also upgraded to 6.7.4 just fine. 

Model: RN716X|ReadyNAS 716X Chassis
Message 17 of 22
nsne
Virtuoso

@mws wrote:

Yes, the new unit was the solution. And I think that's confirmed by the fact that the new unit carried out the USB Recovery process successfully using the same USB stick that didn't work on the old unit. Believe me, I tried every USB stick I could find and every variation of the USB Recovery software.

I have a legacy Ultra 4 that upgraded through all the 6.7.x firmware releases without incident. Still waiting to see how 6.7.5 works for others before upgrading, though — once bitten, twice shy.

Message 18 of 22
mws
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oops!  Double post?  I hit post once, and it said fix errors and resubmit, so I did.  Didn't meant to post it twice.  

Message 19 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@mws wrote:

Oops!  Double post?  I hit post once, and it said fix errors and resubmit, so I did.  Didn't meant to post it twice.  

No problem, it happens a lot.

Message 20 of 22
mws
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, we just fixed ours by going through the process again with a smaller (16gb) thumb drive!   Now has 6.7.5 and seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the help!

Message 21 of 22
cengique
Aspirant

@cengique wrote:

@cengique wrote:

In particular, do we install the latest 6.7.5 image? I have downloaded the experimental USB recovery tool and placed the 6.7.5 image under x86/, but my when I boot my RN314, it does not go further than saying "Boot from external USB".

I was able to rescue my unit using the USB recovery tool with a different USB stick, too. I think forgetting the "Run as administrator" was the problem the first time. Or it could be that the first stick I tried was unbootable for some reason (some are like that).

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements