× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS - exploring the option

Thakkudu
Aspirant

ReadyNAS - exploring the option

Hi Community,

I am looking to include a common storage for our small network of computers at my office. Total employee count is about 20(possibly multiple device access for same person using ready cloud). We have a partner group who want to be accessing some of the Data present in our Database.

So I was looking at adding a Netgear NAS device to the network to serve as storage for the common databases and project folders. And also use the readyCloud to grant access to the outside partners and probably the employee mobile phones who need the data. Do I need a server in the network to access Data locally or globally?  Do I need to add a firewall device for the protection on network data on our device?  We were considering 2 HDDs in a 4 bay slot in RAID1 configurations and 2 slots to allow future expansions for the storage.

But when I look at the datasheet for RN21400 it mentions maximum number of concurrent users as 1-8, what does that essentially mean? whether the 9th person tryingto connect will need to wait for someone to logout. Does readyCLOUD count as a connection? . I cannot find any similar data in the datasheet for RN424. Only a recommended maximum user count of 40 mentioned in the product Data Sheet.

Hope someone out here can help me with it.

Thanks

Daniel

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless), RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

The NAS is basically a mini server.  you don't need any other piece of equipment to access it.  8 users is the recommended max number of users for the 200 series due to processor and memory limitations.  I recommend you go for a 400 series or better.

Starting without all bays full is a good plan, as it makes future expansion easier and cheaper.  But don't underestimate how much growth you might have. A 6-bay may be a better choice.

Frankly, I would never use ReadyCloud for a business environment.  Some other VPN solution is better.  Besides the dependancy on Netgear entirely, a ReadyCloud user and a local user are not the same user, and may not have access to "each other's" files unless you are careful how you set it up.  If you use them, each user name will have a separate private storage area the other cannot access.

I choose ZeroTier for my VPN access, but there are other choices.  Depending on your router, you may have an option built in there, too.  Over a VPN, the NAS looks exactly the same as it does when you are local.  That is not the case with ReadyCloud unless you always use ReadyCloud, even when you are local.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

The NAS is basically a mini server.  you don't need any other piece of equipment to access it.  8 users is the recommended max number of users for the 200 series due to processor and memory limitations.  I recommend you go for a 400 series or better.

Starting without all bays full is a good plan, as it makes future expansion easier and cheaper.  But don't underestimate how much growth you might have. A 6-bay may be a better choice.

Frankly, I would never use ReadyCloud for a business environment.  Some other VPN solution is better.  Besides the dependancy on Netgear entirely, a ReadyCloud user and a local user are not the same user, and may not have access to "each other's" files unless you are careful how you set it up.  If you use them, each user name will have a separate private storage area the other cannot access.

I choose ZeroTier for my VPN access, but there are other choices.  Depending on your router, you may have an option built in there, too.  Over a VPN, the NAS looks exactly the same as it does when you are local.  That is not the case with ReadyCloud unless you always use ReadyCloud, even when you are local.

Message 2 of 3
Thakkudu
Aspirant

@SandsharkThank you for the response and It is really helpful and thanks for the tips.  Have a nice day.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements