× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS folder not showing in shares, but I see it in Windows file explorer

Troutt025
Aspirant

ReadyNAS folder not showing in shares, but I see it in Windows file explorer

So I have a folder titled "data" at the top level of the default data folder. I can see this folder and it's contents on my Windows machine that I have mapped to the NAS, but in the Shares page on the NAS I can't see this folder. I'm also having trouble accessing the folder from my Linux machine. I have included a screenshot that should help with what I'm trying to explain.

I'm not sure what else I need to include, but if there are any questions I will answer them the best I can.

Model: RNDP2210|ReadyNAS Pro 2 2TB (2 x 1TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS folder not showing in shares, but I see it in Windows file explorer

@Troutt025 wrote:

So I have a folder titled "data" at the top level of the default data folder. I can see this folder and it's contents on my Windows machine that I have mapped to the NAS, but in the Shares page on the NAS I can't see this folder.

That is the entire data volume - you are seeing it on the PC because you are using the NAS admin credentials.

Although it is convenient to be able to map the entire volume, you do need to be careful - for instance, folders you create from windows in the volume are not shares.  

@Troutt025 wrote:

but in the Shares page on the NAS I can't see this folder.

Which is by design. 

@Troutt025 wrote:

I'm also having trouble accessing the folder from my Linux machine.

It is only accessible with SMB (not NFS), and as noted above it requires use of the NAS admin credentials.

Message 2 of 7
Troutt025
Aspirant

So I know that you're referring to the main data folder. Which houses my documents, home folder, and other things. But INSIDE the data folder, I have a data folder. I used to be able to see it, but something happened recently where I can not see it anymore. I also used to be able to access it from my linux machine just fine, but now I'm getting an error message, which I've included in the picture.

So I used to see this folder everywhere, even in my shares page on the NAS. But now it's just gone, the only place I see it is on file explorer in Windows. I can only imagine that some permission changed. But I set my NAS up to be able to forget about it, I don't mess with permissions or anything like that.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Troutt025 wrote:

So I used to see this folder everywhere, even in my shares page on the NAS.

Did you create a share called data?

Or did you ever have a user account named data?

Message 4 of 7
Troutt025
Aspirant

I created the folder in Windows, so not "officially" as a share.

I checked permissions of my created data folder and a default folder, documents, and there seems to be a few differences. Most likely because I created the data folder outside the readyNAS. I've included a screenshot of the permissions.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Troutt025 wrote:

I created the folder in Windows, so not "officially" as a share.

Not a share at all.  A share is created as BTRFS subvolume - which looks like to an ordinary folder in the windows GUI, but is really very different. There are other important differences - a folder you create in Windows is not actually shared as a network share.

I suggest creating a share with a different name from the web ui, and moving the folder contents into that share using the PC that has access.  Then delete the original folder.

While you could rename the share to match the original folder name when done, I think it would be less confusing if you used a new name (making "data" exclusively the volume name).

Message 6 of 7
Troutt025
Aspirant

I suppose this is most likely the answer. But what happened in the last few days that suddenly made the folder disappear from everywhere? I made the folder over a month ago and I could see it in the webUI and get to it on my Linux machine. Something changed within the last few days to make it stop working.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements