× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS lost folder

glenhendry
Aspirant

ReadyNAS lost folder

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 RNDU4000 with 4x2tb disks. For a few years it has been stably running with 6 folders (music,pics,vids,movies,recordedTV).

The NAS has been 95% full for a while, and the recorded TV takes up ~70% of the NASs space.

Last week, the RecordedTV folder disappeared. I am not sure how or why it happened but it's gone. I did turn the NAS off for 3 weeks last month. Interestingly, I think the files are still there as the NAS still shows 95% full in Win explorer, just no folder with which to access them. The storage even shows as 95% full even after nightly NAS reboots. If the folder had been deleted (by one of my kids eg), then the available space would have been returned?

- SMART tests all show no problem
- NAS logs dont show anything unusual
- The NAS has not been written to in many weeks
- I do not believe that there has been any power outages
- Journalling is not turned on
- Recycling bin is not turned on

Any advice on how I can get my 1,400 free-to-air DTV recorded TV shows back would be appreciated. 🙂

Thread details here:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2578264&r=51982347#r51982347

Logs here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7Kudt1dkDtUTnJvdWlacFczTFk?usp=sharing

Model: ReadyNASRNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS lost folder

The logs show 98% full, which might be part of the problem.

Have you tried looking at the whole data volume (perhaps looking in lost+found)?

You can access it using NAS admin credentials.  For example to map it to drive letter T you can run CMD from windows and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\192.168.1.90\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

Be careful on the slash direction, and of course use the real nas admin password.

BTW, mdgm pointed you to the preferred way to submit logs, but you didn't follow it.  You might want to take another look at http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21543 and send in the log zip file to his attention.

Message 2 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Would be good to look in the lost+found as StephenB suggested.

98% full is very full.

Message 3 of 4
glenhendry
Aspirant

For posterity and close-out.

Sorry for confusion and my user error - it seems that a very simple problem caused this.

The whole missing folder looks to have been moved (by one of my kids I'd say), into another subfolder.  Very difficult to find without going through all the folders, but should have been a suspicion since the available space was not reduced with the aparant 'loss' of the folder.

Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements