× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS not available after moving to ATT Giga

vfpeter
Tutor

Thanks Stephen. I have contacted Support. Since my device is legacy, they are charging me per incident which comes to the same cost as 1 year support. 

Also, I never thought about any additional backup as I have RAID (2 x 2TB). I hope I do not lose any data. See my other post here asking the community about this. I woudl appreciate if you can share your insight in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/How-much-Redundancy-for-safety/m-p/1344081#M134...

Meanwhile, I will continue to update this thread with my status, so others can benefit from it. 

Message 26 of 41
vfpeter
Tutor

This what I got from Tech Support:

"Both disks report I/O errors when I try to read them and both disks report incorrect capacity + SMART data. The errors we are seeing indicate disk failures rather than disk controller error of the NAS itself. I wish I could give you more backstory than this but as the disks are bad to the state where I cannot read any data from them at all, I cannot get access to any historical logs/data to figure out what happened and when, but it's likely that one or both disks have been failing for a while and now the other one died (or both died). "

I am very disapointed with ReadyNAS as I got no warning till both my disk failed. My expectation was that I would get alerted as one of the disk failed giving me time to repalce it. 

Meanwhile, I am trying to find a local Tech Geek company that can help to salvage the data on my hard drive.  Has anyone done this before and if so, how much do they cost? 

Message 27 of 41
vfpeter
Tutor

I have 2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB,  with < 20 % data on each. 

Message 28 of 41
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello vfpeter,

I do understand the frustration, I just found out you have a support ticket that was also raise to our higher tier or level 3 support. Unfortunately the problem was to severe that even our level 3 support have hard time working on it and you are were advice to check with 3rd party company that offers data recovery.  

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 29 of 41
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Before you give up, perhaps there is some chance of revival. To be clear I'm trying to create false hope, but it is odd that both disks start to fail and show signs now. How old are the disks?

Can you go back to your old configuration with old router?

Can you use a scratch disk (one without any useful data) and bring the unit back online to prove the setup is working fine and communication to your PC is working? I prefer to remove wireless in this instance.

Can you try a direct wired connection between the ReadyNAS and a PC. You need to set the PC to the same network configuration and and set a static IP address. This would eliminate a lot of other complications and maybe things will come to life at least to get the data off.

Message 30 of 41
vfpeter
Tutor

Thanks @Tony!

I tried the "direct wired connection between the ReadyNAS and my laptop" approach. I can see the NAS in RAIDar. However, in the status I see "Corrupt Root". 

Message 31 of 41
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It may be possible to get past corrupt root. Can you try to get a full working ReadyNAS with a scratch disk?

For absolute safety, getting a backup of the current (corrupted) disks would be adivsable, albeit a tricky issue (faff). But if the data is important, then a small investment now could be money well spent. Data recovery will be much more expensive.

Message 32 of 41
vfpeter
Tutor

@tony

I do not have any spare disk. I will need to order a new one. 

So once I get my NAS up and runing with one disk, what's the next steps...

Thanks,

Pete.

Message 33 of 41
vfpeter
Tutor

I had two Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 which ended up with corrupt root. 

Since my disk are gone, I need to buy two 2TB disk. Any recommendation?

Message 34 of 41
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@vfpeter wrote:

I had two Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 which ended up with corrupt root. 

Since my disk are gone, I need to buy two 2TB disk. Any recommendation?

I have personally used WD Red mainly, I did also try the Seagate NAS drives too. I strongly suggest you consider the NAS variant hard drives. Also check on the ReadyNAS drive compatibility list to be certain it is supported by your nas.

Message 35 of 41
vfpeter
Tutor

Thanks @Tony!

WD Red 2TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD20EFRX

Can I leave my NAS up and running 24/7 with this?

p.s I did not see any "Enterprise" grade model in the list when I selected my Device (ReadyNAS Ultra 2+)

Message 36 of 41
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@vfpeter wrote:

WD Red 2TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD20EFRX

Can I leave my NAS up and running 24/7 with this?

Those drive are what I have, and yes I leave mine on 24/7. The power on hours status on my nas indicate over 3 years use.

Message 37 of 41
StephenB
Guru

I use WDC Red drives myself, and have had no issues.  Though Seagate Ironwolf users also seem to be pleased with their drive choice.

@aks wrote:
Also check on the ReadyNAS drive compatibility list

I disagree on that one.  The HCL haven't been updated for the legacy NAS for a long time.  I recommend either getting a NAS-purposed drive from WDC or Seagate, or an enterprise class drive.  Don't get a desktop drive, even if it is on the HCL.

Message 38 of 41
vfpeter
Tutor

Any one used this?

Seagate 2TB Enterprise Capacity HDD SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000NM0033)

Also what's the advantage of having 128 MB cache over 64 MB cache?

Message 39 of 41
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

A regular NAS specific drive from WD or Seagate (or any others that specify NAS usage) is sufficient. Enterprise tend to come with longer warranties and higher specifications, but I don't believe the ReadyNAS consumer units will benefit from them.

Message 40 of 41
StephenB
Guru

@aks wrote:

A regular NAS specific drive from WD or Seagate (or any others that specify NAS usage) is sufficient. Enterprise tend to come with longer warranties and higher specifications, but I don't believe the ReadyNAS consumer units will benefit from them.

You likely would see some improvement in random i/o, since the enterprise drive would be spinning faster.  But I use NAS-purposed drives, and am happy with the performance I get.

Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements