× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS nv+ won't power up after outage. Power Supply Problems?

Lestrad
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS nv+ won't power up after outage. Power Supply Problems? NEW UPDATE: No happiness... but

Okay I jumped pins 14 and 15, and nothing happened. So it's time to write this one off, I guess. I may take it apart some more and see if any replaceable component looks obviously blown.

OR, since I feel that recycling is important in this day and age, I'm tempted to try to make a DIY NAS that would re-use the backplane (and I suppose I'd have to somehow use the SATA port multiplier on the mainboard, for which I have the spec sheet) and use my Wandboard Quad (which has a single SATA port) as the brain. What do you think of the idea?

In any case I'd need help. Should I maybe post the idea as a new thread? Possibly on some other forum? 😉

Thanks yet again for all your help!

Les

Message 26 of 29
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS nv+ won't power up after outage. Power Supply Problems? NEW UPDATE: No happiness... but

Honestly, I applaud our desire to try and repair it or re-use some of it as a do-it-yourself project, but I think it's a lost cause,   I'm an engineer and wouldn't try it without a schematic.  I doubt vey much there is a port multiplier on the board, though I've not looked.

Your NAS had a good run.  I recommend you retire it and buy a replacment.  I've stuck with Netgear products because of familiarity and the helpfullness of the community.  But if I ran a lot of apps, or wanted to, I would likely have looked elsewhere.

Message 27 of 29
Lestrad
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS nv+ seems dead. Re-use components?

@Sandshark wrote:

...I doubt vey much there is a port multiplier on the board....

Well, according to this page there is. (I realize that the pictures are of the NV+ V2 board.) It has a link to a product sheet on the port multiplier

So far I haven't found a schematic of the NV+ board. Surely there must be one out there...

There's a site that shows a project that does what I want to do using a Raspberry Pi and which uses a USB hub and USB-to-SATA adaptors to connect the four HDDs. I'm looking at that now. Seems questionable. But then the Pi has no SATA connector, whereas the Wandboard does. And the NV+ has the multi-SATA backplane and presumably a port multiplier chip. Of course, I'd need a schematic and help to make them available to the Wandboard. I'd need to fire somebody's interest in the idea...

Message 28 of 29
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS nv+ seems dead. Re-use components?

Netgear has not published any ReadyNAS schematics, so anything you find would have to be reverse engineered.

The NV+ V2 is a Netgear design, where the NV+ is old Infrant.  They are very different designs.

Even if the NV+ has a port multiplier, it probably has a 2TB limit per drive.  Otherwise, I think Infrant/Netgear would have put out a version of the OS that supported >2TB drives.

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements