× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS os failure

realtek1
Apprentice

ReadyNAS os failure

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS 516 and it is unable to boot properly with a currupt OS.

I tried an OS Reinstall but that stalls at checking fs.

Cannot SSH or anything, I also tried downloading and using the USB os install but it won't boot into that either.

Does anyone else have any idea's?

RAIDar reports management service offline. I also cannot get the logs.

What would happen if I removed all disks, then did a factory reset and then put all the disks back in in the same order, will I be able to access the data?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS os failure

Hi realtek1,

Can you check if the logs can be extracted using the RAIDar 6.0? Also, have you contacted our support team about this?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS os failure

@realtek1 wrote:

I also tried downloading and using the USB os install but it won't boot into that either.

USB Boot Recovery will only help if the firmware on the flash is corrupt. This clearly is not the problem here. So USB Boot Recovery won't help.

Not all USB keys are compatible and if the unit was one of the early 516 units it can take a few goes to get the timing right to do USB Boot Recovery.

@realtek1 wrote:

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS 516 and it is unable to boot properly with a currupt OS.

I tried an OS Reinstall but that stalls at checking fs.

RAIDar reports management service offline. I also cannot get the logs.

So it sounds like problem is on the root volume on the disks.

@realtek1 wrote:

What would happen if I removed all disks, then did a factory reset and then put all the disks back in in the same order, will I be able to access the data?

Considering the whole purpose of a factory reset is to wipe the disks and do a clean install of the OS and create a fresh volume, what you propose won't help at all.

I would follow BrianL's advice. Contact support.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements