× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS pro with 4.2.19 cannot reach the Internet

chadh
Aspirant

ReadyNAS pro with 4.2.19 cannot reach the Internet

I have a ReadyNAS Pro Business with 4.2.19 running. I just recently had to have the chassis replaced because of a fan failure. After much work with different FW versions and a possible failed drive, I have the system back up and running in the new chassis. However, the NAS cannot reach the Internet. NTP, email alerts and looking for updates fail. The NAS was set with a static IP, which the gateway and DNS were correct. DNS uses OpenDNS (208.67.222.222). I changed it to DHCP with the same issue. I performed an OS Reinstall with the same problem.

I don't have problems reaching the NAS on my local network. I'm using 172.16.1.x with a 255.255.225.0 subnet.

Any ideas?

Chad
Message 1 of 7
Scaevola
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS pro with 4.2.19 cannot reach the Internet

Did it work previously to the replacement?

How were you specifying the ip? dhcp can theortically change the ip address based upon lease times and re-requests. I would favor using a router that supports dhcp reservations or static ips.

It sounds like your router/firewall isn't directing external traffic to the ip address of the readyns.

I would try turning off opendns and do a default internet config and seeing if you have access and then eliminate the variables.

Additionally If it has a new "chasis" what does that mean exactly? Did you just migrate the hd??? DHCP reservations(as an example) function on the idea of MAC address(not unique but collisions are very very very very rare) and when said MAC address connects to router it automatically gets "directed" to a specific predetermined ip address. If you changed chasis (guessing everything but the hd's [see my above question]) the MAC would have 99% of time changed.

I'm not familiar with opendns (though I use googles dns service), but that could very well be linked by MAC address, so you might start there if the default config functions correctly.
Message 2 of 7
chadh
Aspirant

Scaevola wrote:
Did it work previously to the replacement?

Yes. No problems
Scaevola wrote:

How were you specifying the ip? dhcp can theortically change the ip address based upon lease times and re-requests. I would favor using a router that supports dhcp reservations or static ips.
There is a DHCP reservation or the NAS with an ip of 172.16.1.5. And yes, I updated the MAC address for the new Chassis.

Scaevola wrote:

I would try turning off opendns and do a default internet config and seeing if you have access and then eliminate the variables.

I've used the default DNS servers from my ISP, the OpenDNS servers and the IP of my router which has a DNS proxy and all are the same.
Scaevola wrote:

Additionally If it has a new "chasis" what does that mean exactly? Did you just migrate the hd??? DHCP reservations(as an example) function on the idea of MAC address(not unique but collisions are very very very very rare) and when said MAC address connects to router it automatically gets "directed" to a specific predetermined ip address. If you changed chasis (guessing everything but the hd's [see my above question]) the MAC would have 99% of time changed.

A fan started making rattling noises in my NAS. Netgear sent me a new unit with no drives. I swapped my drives (5x2TB) from the old unit into the new. It was a mess as the support team never bothered to tell me that since my old system had 4.2.19 on it and the one they sent me had 4.2.15 it wouldn't be able to boot properly. I finally got it working and had a drive failure that may or may not have been related to this firmware issue. But when I finally got it back online I started seeing this Internet issue. I had the old unit set to a Static IP. So when I tried using DHCP I of course had to change the MAC.
Scaevola wrote:

I'm not familiar with opendns (though I use googles dns service), but that could very well be linked by MAC address, so you might start there if the default config functions correctly.

I'm just using OpenDNS for external DNS resolution. I've never had issues with them on any of my network devices or my old NAS.
Message 3 of 7
eldoddos
Aspirant

Hi Chadh,

I'm having the same issue with my Ultra 4 at the moment. Have installed my drive set in the new chassis, but it's stuck on "Booting". RAIDar cannot see it, but the Dashboard widget can, how did you update your firmware?
Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could power down, remove all disks (label order), insert a spare disk (must not be from your array), do a factory default (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu) to wipe the drive (if necessary) and update the firmware. Verify update completed successfully, power down, remove spare disk and put your disks back in the NAS (same order as before).

If you can't do this, contact tech support and they will give you instructions to enable them to do the firmware update remotely: http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19042/
Message 5 of 7
chadh
Aspirant

eldoddos wrote:
Hi Chadh,

I'm having the same issue with my Ultra 4 at the moment. Have installed my drive set in the new chassis, but it's stuck on "Booting". RAIDar cannot see it, but the Dashboard widget can, how did you update your firmware?

I found instructions for performing a USB recovery. When doing this, make are you also download the latest Firmware (.19) and use that to load the flash drive instead of the firmware that comes with the USB tool.

As for the IP address thing, I just changed the IP and it works fine. Don't know why that particular address was being blocked, but it's working now and I really don't have time to find the root cause.

Also of note, I added a new 2tb drive to the other 5 to create dual redundancy. It tool 10 days to restripe the array. Just a note to those trying the same thing and thinking it's not working because the progress goes up so slowly.

Chad
Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Don't do a USB Boot Recovery unless requested to by NetGear. That can have negative side effects (won't affect data but would require tech support to remotely login anyway).

The two options I gave above are the ones to follow.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements