× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS reports not enough space

OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

ReadyNAS reports not enough space

My ReadyNAS 524X reports (data shows a red bar) that there is only 481 GB available out of 8.17 TB of space. I have 4 3 TB drives installed in the unit, using RAID 5. I am running on a Mac.

When I use Finder to add up all the folders under "data" on the network, it adds up to only 3 TB. I have rebooted both the Mac and the ReadyNAS.

Any ideas why there is such a discrepancy?

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X – Premium Performance Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS reports not enough space

@Sandshark wrote:

On the Volumes page of the GUI, you can see if some of that space is taken up by snapshots and you can also use the gear icon to do a balance.  But it would be unusual for a balance to free up that much space.

Thank you for your comments, Sandshark. As a matter of fact, in my case, deleting snapshots and rebalancing did free up that much space. I don't know why it worked, but it did. 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

I recently read about rebalancing on the ReadyNAS, which may free up space, but I don't seem to have that option. I have the latest firmware (6.10.2), but Settings does not have an option that I can see for scheduling a rebalance operation.

Anybody have this problem?

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

My ReadyNAS 524X reports (data shows a red bar) that there is only 481 GB available out of 8.17 TB of space. I have 4 3 TB drives installed in the unit, using RAID 5. I am running on a Mac.

When I use Finder to add up all the folders under "data" on the network, it adds up to only 3 TB. I have rebooted both the Mac and the ReadyNAS.

Any ideas why there is such a discrepancy?

Message 2 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

On the Volumes page of the GUI, you can see if some of that space is taken up by snapshots and you can also use the gear icon to do a balance.  But it would be unusual for a balance to free up that much space.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Yes.  I think the first step is to see how much space is in snapshots.

@OldTimerGuy  are you using the NAS to store time machine backups?

Message 4 of 10
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

Thank you for your comments, Sandshark. As a matter of fact, in my case, deleting snapshots and rebalancing did free up that much space. I don't know why it worked, but it did. 🙂

Message 5 of 10
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

Yes.  I think the first step is to see how much space is in snapshots.

@OldTimerGuy  are you using the NAS to store time machine backups?

No, I am not using the NAS to store Time Machine backups. I use an attached external hard drive. But deleting snapshots and rebalancing worked in my case. Thank you for your comments.

Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

It is likely that the snapshot deletion was the main thing that released the free space.  Reclaining of free space after deleting snapshots can take a while, and a balance will speed that up.

Message 7 of 10
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

It is likely that the snapshot deletion was the main thing that released the free space.  Reclaining of free space after deleting snapshots can take a while, and a balance will speed that up.

Thank you, Sandshark. I will delete the snapshots more often now.

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

If you switch to "Custom" snapshots you can explicitly set the retention.  I find that to be an easier way to manage the snapshot space than going in and manually deleting the "Smart" snapshots.  

If you switch to this, then I suggest starting with 3 months of retention for every share, and monitor the overall snapshot space.  Then adjust it to acheive the balance you want. 

There is also a setting there to only make snapshots when the main share changes - which I also recommend setting.

Message 9 of 10
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

If you switch to "Custom" snapshots you can explicitly set the retention.  I find that to be an easier way to manage the snapshot space than going in and manually deleting the "Smart" snapshots.  

If you switch to this, then I suggest starting with 3 months of retention for every share, and monitor the overall snapshot space.  Then adjust it to acheive the balance you want. 

There is also a setting there to only make snapshots when the main share changes - which I also recommend setting.

Great idea StephenB! I'll give it a try.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements