× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS shutdown since update to 6.10.5 Hotfix 1

HolgerGT86
Guide

ReadyNAS shutdown since update to 6.10.5 Hotfix 1

Hello community,

I'm using a RN104 since years. It has 1 volume defined. I'm scheduling maintenance tasks (defrag, balance, disk test, data scrubbing) on that volume on a monthly base.

I'm using a power off timer for my RN104. The RN104 is only up and running from 10am to 4pm every day.

Some of the volume maintenance tasks, like disk test, usually run longer than the daily RN104 uptime resulting from power off timer.

Before updating to firmware level 6.10.5 Hotfix 1, the RN104 did not shutdown by power off timer if a volume maintenance task was still running. This allowed long running maintenance tasks like disk test to complete.

Since I updated the firmware to level 6.10.5 Hotfix 1, the RN104 is shutting down, exactly following the power off timer schedule, even if a long running volume maintenance task is still active. Because of this, maintenance tasks like disk test never complete as they are cancelled by device shutdown.

Is this a bug or new feature with 6.10.5?

I'ld like to get pre 6.10.5 behavior back. I was looking for an option to customize it but could not find one.

Thanks and regards, 

Holger

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS shutdown since update to 6.10.5 Hotfix 1

@HolgerGT86 wrote:

Before updating to firmware level 6.10.5 Hotfix 1, the RN104 did not shutdown by power off timer if a volume maintenance task was still running.

That is not my experience - I found that a scrub would generally hold off the auto shutdown, but that other tasks (particularly the disk test) would not.  I complained about this back in 2017, but nothing was ever fixed.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Idea-Exchange/Option-to-defer-scheduled-shutdowns-if-a-mai...

I eventually decided to fix this myself, and modified the autopoweroff script on my NAS last January. 

FWIW, it's clear from looking at that script that Netgear makes no attempt to hold off shutdown for any maintenance task.  The scrub is usually held off because the NAS is checking for a RAID resync, and that is one of the steps in the scrub.  But if the other component of the scrub (the btrfs scrub) takes longer than the resync, or if you are using JBOD (so there is no RAID resync), then it will also be terminated if it is running when the shutdown time arrives.

My mod doesn't handle the case when two or more maintenance functions are running at the same time on different volumes.  That's not a problem for me, since my maintenance schedule is set up to prevent that from happening.  And of course if you only have one volume, it's not a concern.  

If you are ok with making this change yourself with ssh, I can repost the modified script here.  You do need to check that Netgear hasn't overwritten it after every firmware update.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@HolgerGT86 wrote:

Before updating to firmware level 6.10.5 Hotfix 1, the RN104 did not shutdown by power off timer if a volume maintenance task was still running.

That is not my experience - I found that a scrub would generally hold off the auto shutdown, but that other tasks (particularly the disk test) would not.  I complained about this back in 2017, but nothing was ever fixed.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Idea-Exchange/Option-to-defer-scheduled-shutdowns-if-a-mai...

I eventually decided to fix this myself, and modified the autopoweroff script on my NAS last January. 

FWIW, it's clear from looking at that script that Netgear makes no attempt to hold off shutdown for any maintenance task.  The scrub is usually held off because the NAS is checking for a RAID resync, and that is one of the steps in the scrub.  But if the other component of the scrub (the btrfs scrub) takes longer than the resync, or if you are using JBOD (so there is no RAID resync), then it will also be terminated if it is running when the shutdown time arrives.

My mod doesn't handle the case when two or more maintenance functions are running at the same time on different volumes.  That's not a problem for me, since my maintenance schedule is set up to prevent that from happening.  And of course if you only have one volume, it's not a concern.  

If you are ok with making this change yourself with ssh, I can repost the modified script here.  You do need to check that Netgear hasn't overwritten it after every firmware update.

Message 2 of 3
HolgerGT86
Guide

Hello Stephen,

many thanks for your prompt response. You update makes me think that only the scrub data was preventing a shutdown ... and not a disk test ... you may be right.

Thanks for offering your modified script, but I don't like to use it. At least not now. Maybe I'll limit the disk test to once a year, and, in this case, I can turn the power off scheduler off as long as it's running ... I'll think about it.

Let's close this thread for now.

Many thanks!

Regards, Holger

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements