× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS storage over Internet access

Eiiit
Aspirant

ReadyNAS storage over Internet access

I can't do anything with my files over the internet on the USB storage I have attached to my router. I can connect to the USB drive via Ftp and I can see the files and so on but I can't copy/delete/view/rename/or transfer anything to or from the storage. Why?
I would appreciate help greatly.

Remote Management: On
FTP (via Internet): Enabled (In the USB Storage advanced settings)
HTTPs (via Internet): Enabled (In the USB Storage advanced settings)
Read/Write rights: "All (No password)" (In the USB Storage advanced settings)
Admin on router-login

OS X Yosemite

Message 1 of 10
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Are the files readable by Mac OS?

Try using a different browser.

Check this article as well.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20391
Message 2 of 10
Eiiit
Aspirant

minions08 wrote:

Problem only appears when Im not on the same network. So yes.
Storage has only been used with/all files are put there with/and its formatted with mac ("Journaled") No problem when on same network.

When putting the adress in a web-browser this automatically redirects the command to Finder's "connect to server", so the command still executes via the same method that I do. So the files show up the same, but I can't do anything to them or to the directory.
Message 3 of 10
Eiiit
Aspirant

minions08 wrote:

I checked the page out,
I have set everything correctly according to those instructions.
Message 4 of 10
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Have you tried using a different computer or using windows based OS? Just to check if it has the same behavior.

Try using a FTP client like filezilla to manage the files via FTP.
Message 5 of 10
Eiiit
Aspirant

minions08 wrote:
Have you tried using a different computer or using windows based OS? Just to check if it has the same behavior.

Try using a FTP client like filezilla to manage the files via FTP.

I have not, but I will try with a Windows PC as soon as possible.

Also, in the router, Ive set the permissions for the USB device in the router to be "All - no password", but the info (Cmd+i) over the USB storage, or for that matter in any of its folders, says I only have "read" permissions. :S

I post as soon as I tried using FTP with external app, also if I can get my hands on a Windows PC.
Message 6 of 10
Fairytail
Virtuoso

I will wait for the result so that we can check if it is an issue with the router.
Message 7 of 10
Eiiit
Aspirant

minions08 wrote:
I will wait for the result so that we can check if it is an issue with the router.

FileZilla seems to make it. With given ip adress and port number I am able to download and upload. File download limits over 1,6GB filesize but I guess I can live with that. Maybe Ill investigate into that further..

I did a factory reset on the router and updated it too newest firmware (after it started dropping out WIFI connections and my cellphone couldn't connect at all too it (obtaining IP-adress... known issue) so the cellphone started working again and somehow I can now also download stuff from the storage via ftp in through the Command+K action, but I can't upload or mess around with the directories. As long as FileZilla won't disappoint me, Im happy. I'll post if I randomly check out the options on a Windows-PC. Thank you for your advice and help.
Message 8 of 10
Fairytail
Virtuoso

That's a limitation when accessing FTP via web browser. You can download files but cannot upload that is softwares are created.
Message 9 of 10
Eiiit
Aspirant

minions08 wrote:
That's a limitation when accessing FTP via web browser. You can download files but cannot upload that is softwares are created.

Im not accessing through web-browser thou. Im accessing through OS X's Finder. Cmd+k. Would that still be an valid limitation? With FileZilla I can upload/download.. Except for download limit sizes over 1,6GB which may be because of my cellphone acting internet provider at the time. Im trying to point out that it is similar services, one from a standalone application and one from an operative system, both doing and acting like the same thing but with different outcomes.. Terribly explained.. I hope you'll understand.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements