× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS use Playlists

kmcquaid
Follower

ReadyNAS use Playlists

Hi, I know this has been covered in various posts previously but I would really like some basic instructions on how I can get playlists to work.

I have set up DLNA Server on the NAS box and can see and play the music on both my Nexus 7 and Sony Bravia TV. However I can't work out what I need to do to make a playlist work.

I have WMP on my PC on which I create playlists that I can see in the folder playlists and these have been copied over to the NAS box. These are in wpl format. I gather I need to edit the list in some way ?

Can anyone provide a step by step guide to editing the playlist so it works ? Or is there some other software I should look at that will make the process easier ?

Thanks,

Kevin.
Message 1 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: ReadyNAS use Playlists

Amen!

Anyone creating a FAQ on which format (m3u?) to use, where to place the playlist file, how to name the individual mp3 files inside the playlist to locate them properly?

I use either a PS3 or a Denon receiver or a Dish Hopper to access the DLNA media server.
Message 2 of 6
DaveRosser
Aspirant

I Second this request. I have experimented with creating playlists using PlayList Creator 3.6.2 and directing that application to put the playlist in the music directory in my share on my ReadyNAS Duo. When I access this on my Nexus 7 there is no sign of the playlist in the playlist folder in the MediaHouse-Pro app I use but I can access it by browsing the music storage folder and play the contents in order or randomly. Thus I have sort of got playlists working but I am not clear if I am doing it correctly and why Media-House-pro does see them in the playlist folder. I can also generate a playlist on my Samsung smart TV but this seems to be stored I know not where but seemingly not on the ReadyNAS. In summary I am a bit lost, help would be appreciated.
Message 3 of 6
DaveRosser
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS use Playlists Solved

In case anyone lands on this thread trying to solve the playlist problem I have now got playlists working on my set up streaming from a ReadyNAS Duo (original sparc version). Setup is ReadyNAS Duo streaming to a Cambridge Audio NP30 Network Player via wifi. The ReadyNAS is running Raidiator 4.1.10 and ReadyDLNA v1.0.25. ReadyDLNA points at a directory called music in my share on the ReadyNAS Duo. I have found that if I put a sub-directory called Playlists in the music directory and put the playlists in this directory then the NP30 can find the playlists and play the tracks in them. I create the playlists using Playlist Creator 3.6.2 on my Windows 8 desktop machine.
Message 4 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

How do you address the location of the files in your playlist?

Could you post a snippet of a typical playlist .. first few lines that includes a few songs..?

Thanks.
Message 5 of 6
DaveRosser
Aspirant

alokeprasad wrote:
How do you address the location of the files in your playlist?

Could you post a snippet of a typical playlist .. first few lines that includes a few songs..?

Thanks.

Here is one that definitely works, remember the Playlists directory is in the music directory at the same level as the individual artist directories. Here is the complete .pls file

[playlist]
File1=..\Julian Bream\Rodrigo & Villa-Lobos\04 Julian Bream - Guitar Concerto; I. Allegro preciso.flac
Title1=Rodrigo & Villa-Lobos - 4 - Guitar Concerto: I. Allegro preciso
Length1=328
File2=..\Julian Bream\Rodrigo & Villa-Lobos\05 Julian Bream - Guitar Concerto; II. Andantino e andante.flac
Title2=Rodrigo & Villa-Lobos - 5 - Guitar Concerto: II. Andantino e andante
Length2=501
File3=..\Julian Bream\Rodrigo & Villa-Lobos\06 Julian Bream - Guitar Concerto; III. Allegretto non troppo; Vivo.flac
Title3=Rodrigo & Villa-Lobos - 6 - Guitar Concerto: III. Allegretto non troppo; Vivo
Length3=271
NumberOfEntries=3
Version=2

Perhaps not a good example due to the long file names "04 Julian Bream - Guitar Concerto; I. Allegro preciso.flac" is the file name
Simplifying it the structure is

[playlist]
File1=..\Artist\CD\track
Title1=CD Title - track number - track title
Length1=Track length in seconds
NumberOfEntries=1
Version=2

I have no idea what version number refers to but it can only be 2 see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLS_%28file_format%29

The key point I think is the track addresses the ..\ takes you out of the playlist directory into the next level up, the music directory. ie wherever you put your playlist the address of the file you want to play must be relative to the playlist.

.m3u playlists also work, here is an example that works

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:120,Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 - 1 - No More Walks in the Wood
Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\01 Eagles - No More Walks in the Wood.flac
#EXTINF:196,Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 - 2 - How Long
Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\02 Eagles - How Long.flac
#EXTINF:260,Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 - 3 - Busy Being Fabulous
Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\03 Eagles - Busy Being Fabulous.flac
#EXTINF:234,Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 - 4 - What Do I Do with My Heart
Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\04 Eagles - What Do I Do with My Heart.flac
#EXTINF:223,Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 - 5 - Guilty of the Crime
Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\05 Eagles - Guilty of the Crime.flac
#EXTINF:261,Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 - 6 - I Don't Want to Hear Any More
Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\06 Eagles - I Don't Want to Hear Any More.flac
#EXTINF:466,Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 - 7 - Waiting in the Weeds
Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\07 Eagles - Waiting in the Weeds.flac
#EXTINF:243,Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 - 8 - No More Cloudy Days
Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\08 Eagles - No More Cloudy Days.flac
#EXTINF:240,Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 - 9 - Fast Company
Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\09 Eagles - Fast Company.flac
#EXTINF:312,Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 - 10 - Do Something
Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\10 Eagles - Do Something.flac
#EXTINF:144,Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 - 11 - You Are Not Alone
Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\11 Eagles - You Are Not Alone.flac

Here the address is relative to the directory holding the playlist directory rather than to the playlist directory itself. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements