× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS user interface says 'no volume' after reboot

markstoop
Aspirant

ReadyNAS user interface says 'no volume' after reboot

Hi,

I've got a ReadyNAS10400 with 4 8TB disks in Raid5. Earlier this evening I was having trouble accessing the data. I rebooted 2-3 times with no result. After antother reboot I get a message saying there is no volume and I cannot access any volume/file on the NAS.

If I look at the 'System' part of the UI I see there is a part with RAID5, but I cannot acces it. I saw in the logs there is 1 disk with some reading errors (about 80). How can I see what the problem is and how can I fix it? Can I simply replace the disk and rebuilt it or do I have to go into data recovery/backup restore?

Regards, Mark

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS user interface says 'no volume' after reboot

The fact the volume is offline shows that a simple disk replacement won't resolve it. This is a data recovery situation and blind attempts to fix it may only make the problem worse.

Is your backup up to date?

Message 2 of 9
markstoop
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. There is a backup and it is pretty much up-to-date. I've only been sorting files (mostly photos) and deleting old and double files.

So, I am going to order a new NAS en restore the backup. If all of that goes well, I can do some blind attempts to fix the problem 🙂

Regards, Mark

Message 3 of 9
markstoop
Aspirant

Right, I'm back. My backup is almost restored to a new disk. So I am going to find out if I can get my ReadyNAS fixed.

I checked the log files and a couple of days before my NAS stopped working, there has been a message: root usage is 100%... obvious what the problem is.

The question now: can this be fixed? Yesterday I've been on the phone with support, but they could not help and can only set me to a higher level of support. But for that I need a support contract. The lady on the phone said it was about 60EUR (75USD). I tried to find it on the website, but I cannot find it. I can buy a support contract for 85EUR. If that is what I need, so be it.

I am Dutch and cheap as we are, I don't feel much for buying a support contract if there is little chance of fixing the issue. Can a full root partition be fixed easily by support? Or can I fix it myself?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 4 of 9
bedlam1
Prodigy

Have you performed a Factory Default since the 100% the Root message?

If not performing one will solve that problem but it will delete everything on the NAS and you will have to start over again from your backup.

It will also change the admin password to password

Message 5 of 9
markstoop
Aspirant

No, I haven't done that. I know that will fix my NAS, but I want to make sure there is no way my data can be restored (the internet is full of similar problems which were fixed). If my NAS can be fixed and run for a couple of weeks, I can make a copy of the data. After that I don't really care much what happens to my NAS.

My backup is about 2-3 months old. Not to much has changed in that time, but if I have no loss of data for <100USD I am willing to give it a try.

What is really frustrating: I can see of block of data in RAID5; my data. But I cannot access it.

Message 6 of 9
bedlam1
Prodigy

OK, from your posts I assumed you had a full and current backup

Message 7 of 9
markstoop
Aspirant

Well, it is full, but not entirely up-to-date. The backup of my photos is up-to-date.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You have at least two issues (80 errors on one disk, and also the full root partition).

The root partition can be fixed if you are comfortable using ssh commands.  But there is a caveat - when the root partition gets 100% full, there is a pretty good chance that some of the NAS configuration files have been corrupted.  Support could fix that for you, once the partition is cleaned.  It would be difficult to to take restore corrupted configuration files on your own.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements