× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS with Ubuntu sync

chuckd83
Apprentice

ReadyNAS with Ubuntu sync

Hi,

I have a RN204 that I'm using to host files. I'd like to setup an offsite backup using an old desktop I have. I plan to install Ubuntu. How do I setup a sync between the two? Thanks.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

In my opinion the safest approach is to set up a VPN connection between the two devices (or between the two networks).  Many routers (including Nighthawk) support openVPN, so that is one option. You can also set up ZeroTier.  Then you have several protocol options for the backup - rsync, smb, or ftp.  Rsync is probably the best option.

The other approach is to forward a router port in the remote router to the ubuntu system, and run rsync over ssh.

Message 2 of 15
chuckd83
Apprentice

Thanks. I'm not too familiar with networking. If the ReadyNAS is constantly connected to the server through a VPN, will I be able to still access the ReadyNAS locally?

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@chuckd83 wrote:

Thanks. I'm not too familiar with networking. If the ReadyNAS is constantly connected to the server through a VPN, will I be able to still access the ReadyNAS locally?

Yes.   The VPN network connection would be in addition to the normal network connection; it wouldn't replace it.

Message 4 of 15
chuckd83
Apprentice

Thanks. So I would set up a openvpn server on the Ubuntu machine, openvpn client on the RN204, and enable rsync for both?

Message 5 of 15
chuckd83
Apprentice

Would it be easier to install WINE and download ReadyCloud?

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@chuckd83 wrote:

Would it be easier to install WINE and download ReadyCloud?

I don't know, it's not something I've tried. 

You will get more consistent performance if you use a VPN, since your throughput won't depend on Netgear's cloud servers.

Message 7 of 15
chuckd83
Apprentice

I'm reading tutorials on how to setup openvpn server on Ubuntu and it looks very cumbersome.

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@chuckd83 wrote:

I'm reading tutorials on how to setup openvpn server on Ubuntu and it looks very cumbersome.

It's not that easy to set up. 

Or get a router that has the OpenVPN server built in (for instance, any Nighthawk).  If it's your home router, then you'd need the client on the remote system.  If not, you'd need the client on the NAS.

ZeroTier also works, and might be simpler.  ZeroTier is also building an access box (ZeroTier Edge) which would eliminate the need for software on one or both edges.  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zerotier-edge-open-source-enterprise-vpn-sd-wan#/

Is the remote network also yours?  Or is it a relative's or friend's?

Message 9 of 15
chuckd83
Apprentice

It's a leased office space. I don't have control over their router, etc.

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@chuckd83 wrote:

It's a leased office space. I don't have control over their router, etc.

This approach does require trusting anyone with physical access to your server, and also anyone with unsecured network access.

Putting your own router or maybe that Zerotier edge in front of the ubuntu server would provide some isolation from the local network, but of course it doesn't address physical security. 

Message 11 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

@chuckd83wrote:

Take a look at ZeroTier.  It's a lot easier.  It does, however, rely on the central ZeroTier server for one device to find another.  But the data does not go through that server.  I use ZeroTier for PC to NAS and NAS to NAS connection via the internet.  None of my PC's is Linux, but installing it on Ubuntu is as easy as 

curl -s https://install.zerotier.com/ | sudo bash
Message 12 of 15
chuckd83
Apprentice

Thanks. How do I install zero tier on the ReadyNAS?
Message 13 of 15
chuckd83
Apprentice

I have enabled ssh and put in the command, but it returns “Failed writing body.”
Message 14 of 15
chuckd83
Apprentice

Nevermind, I wasn’t logged in as root.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements