× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS312 Firmware Upgrade to 6.7.4 - Will Not Boot

keving58
Aspirant

ReadyNAS312 Firmware Upgrade to 6.7.4 - Will Not Boot

I had to download the image, received DNS error when I tried the auto-uodate.

So, upgrade completed manually and since I was going to be gone all day I shut down rather than rebooted the NAS.

This evening started the NAS and the power (blue) light flashed and the fan came on at what sounded like full speed. The blue light stopped flashing and the fan kep running. There was no LED indication of disk activity.

The NAS was not found by Raidar.

So, I think the course is the USB recovery method but there is a confusing option for assembing the tool; depending upon NAS model; which folder to place the firmaware image in.

I'm in new waters with this, my NAS has operated flawlessly until now. Some of the data is backed up, some is not, I got complacent. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 14
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

I also saw RN716 can't boot successfully after update to 6.7.5 T building (this building only fixed RN3138's FAN speed issue), I checked information from console port, it seems system can't find boot partition (Need to check root cause),

then I enter into boot menu and select normal boot,  system boot successfully.

so please try to select normal boot in boot menu.

How do I access the boot menu on my ReadyNAS 102, 202, 212 or 312?

https://kb.netgear.com/22892/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312

Message 2 of 14
keving58
Aspirant

The leds would not illuminate.

mgdm is also helping me out. I finally had time today to use a USB key. I got a few brief flickers on the Act LED, then it went dark. No further led activity.

Message 3 of 14
thebear1
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Upgrade to 6.7.4 was successful and so was the soft reboot. But I had a power outage over the weekend and now the 312 won't boot.

Hooked into a LCD monitor and I get the following after the AMI BIOS

Initramfs unpacking failed: LZMA data is corrupt

gpio_it87: unkown chip found, chip 8721 revision 4

Kernal Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on Unkown Block (2,0)

...... then a bunch of stuff relating to the Kernal Panic

I have a 2 x 4GB RAID 1 setup, I have a backup of the important data, but would prefer not to lose any of it if possible

Oh yeah and same problem, power LED goes off after the Kernal Panic. I also can't even get into the Boot Menu to try a OS reinstall

Message 4 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With the initramfs corrupt the system will fail to boot and the boot menu won't work. You do need to do USB Boot Recovery to fix this: How do I use the USB Recovery Tool on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

If the tool isn't working for you you could try using Rufus to create the USB key.

The tool does currently expect a USB key with the MBR partitioning scheme with a partition on it containing the boot recovery files.

You can try this initrd.gz and kernel instead if you want:
https://www.readynas.com/contributed/mdgm/r6usbboot/latest/initrd.gz
https://www.readynas.com/contributed/mdgm/r6usbboot/latest/kernel

Using these it'll boot to a tech support mode like state. RAIDar should reflect this.

Message 5 of 14
thebear1
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm

USB Recovery Tool worked perfectly and my RN312 is back up an running.

Note: it did take me 3 USB key's before one would work - not sure why?

Message 6 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some USB keys are incompatible.

Message 7 of 14
keving58
Aspirant

Yep I'm going to get some aadditonal USB keys. The one I have is not working.

Message 8 of 14
Bent82
Guide

I also had the same issue this weekend with my ReadyNAS 314.  We had a power outage and it wouldn't boot back up with the message mount_block_root +1f1 on the LCD.  I had to try 5 different USB flash drives until I got one to work, and it was an extremely old Kingston 128MB drive, it still had room even though the directions said 256MB was the minimum.

Is this something I am going to have to worry about in the future when I reboot the ReadyNAS, or is it fixed for good?

Message 9 of 14
keving58
Aspirant

@Bent82 wrote:

I had to try 5 different USB flash drives until I got one to work, and it was an extremely old Kingston 128MB drive, it still had room even though the directions said 256MB was the minimum.

I've tried several USBs, all newish, without success. I'll try and hunt down something old. Maybe that's the silver bullet.

Message 10 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some have had greater success using a 3rd party tool such as Rufus to setup the USB Boot Recovery key.

Message 11 of 14
thebear1
Aspirant

Although I would agree, my 10 year old Imation 4GB USB key was the one that worked in this case.

the only other sub 16GB keys I had were a 4 year old Kingston Data Traveller and 2 year old 4GB genieric event givaway key - neither of which would work

All my "new" USB keys are 32 and 64GB ones and I tend to find these don't make good boot drives (as per experiences with other devices).

Message 12 of 14
keving58
Aspirant

Well. Nothing seems to gto work. Tried a rufus made key and no joy.

Message 13 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You may not be pressing the backup button for long enough.

The process to boot a RN312 off a connected USB Boot Recovery key is simple:

1. Press and hold backup button
  2. Briefly press power button to turn NAS on
  3. Continue holding the backup button until it boots off USB

What do you see on a HDMI display when attempting to boot off USB vs booting normally?

Also we do have an experimental update to USB Boot Recovery which should work in more situations: https://www.readynas.com/contributed/mdgm/usbbootrecovery/usbrecovery.v2.0.R15-T3.zip

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements