× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS312 move disks to replacement 312 - easy?

flattened
Apprentice

ReadyNAS312 move disks to replacement 312 - easy?

Hello, hopefully a simple question.

I have a (months old) 312 unit on OS6.6.1 that is making me sweat with its behaviour (call it UNIT-A). I have an identical NEW 312 unit also on OS6.6.1 and a basic build that has been added to ReadyCloud ( call it UNIT B)

Both are 2 Bay units. Is it really as easy as:

Remove UNITB from ReadyCloud

Factory reset UNIT-B (the new one).

Gracefully shut it down.

Remove its disks 2*2TB disks.

Backup the config of UNITA (the worrying live one),

Gracefully shut it down.

Take its 2*2TB disks and put them into UNITB

Start it up.

UNITA is linked to ReadyCloud and has several cloud users. 

Do I need to unlink it from the ReadyCloud before taking the disks out and putting them into the new UNITB?

Assuming UNITB boots OK with the swapped disks, should it then be added to ReadyCloud using the same account as UNITA;s

Then, restore the config from UNITA to reinstate the users & permissions etc?

I've based this question on the vague sheet:

http://kb.netgear.com/22895/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Migrating-a-volume?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Model: RN31212D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS312 move disks to replacement 312 - easy?

@flattened wrote:

Hello, hopefully a simple question.

I have a (months old) 312 unit on OS6.6.1 that is making me sweat with its behaviour (call it UNIT-A). I have an identical NEW 312 unit also on OS6.6.1 and a basic build that has been added to ReadyCloud ( call it UNIT B)

1. Install the same firmware on both systems if they are mismatched.  Do this by upgrading whichever firmware is older.
  2. Gracefully shut UNITB down.
  3. Remove its disks 2*2TB disks (labeling by slot).
  4. Gracefully shut UNITA down.
  5. Take UNITA's 2*2TB disks and put them into UNITB (preserving slot order)
  6. Start UNITB up.
  7. Put UNITB disks into UNITA (preserving slot order)
  8. Start UNITA up.

There is no need to factory reset UNITB.  Also there isn't any real need to back up the config of UNITA.  The systems boot from the disks, and the full configuration moves with the disks.  That includes apps, readcloud, users, permissions, the host name, etc.  

The boot process checks the firmware in the flash against the disks, and if they are mismatched it will attempt to upgrade whichever is older (from the other). That's generally a good thing, but can go wrong.  That is why I suggest matching the firmware versions first.

If the issue with UNITA is software-related, it will move with the disks.  If it's hardware-related it won't.  Swapping the disks will hopefully give you some confirmation on where the issue lies.  

Since my adapted migration keeps both systems running, there is no reason to leave ReadyCloud on UNITB first. Although if there are no ReadyCloud users configured for UNITB now, you could leave ReadyCloud if you wish.  It's important to keep the readycloud user home folders backed up, since if those accounts are deleted via ReadyCloud, those folders will be deleted too.  Several people here have lost precious data because the accounts were deleted when they didn't expect them to be.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements