× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS424 has reset after a power cut

Superfly
Aspirant

ReadyNAS424 has reset after a power cut

Hi there,

I took the plunge back in November and purhased a ReadyNAS424.  I put a spare HDD into it to get to learn how it operated and after 2 days, I had managed to get it working.  Over the festive period while I was away there was a power cut in my area and now the unit has lost its identity, does not recognise the HDD still inside and has lost connection with the Insight and Cloud apps.  While it was still working I did manage to get the firmware updated to 6.10.4.  I have tried rebooting the unit to no avail.  I don't believe in this era that something like this should lose all its memory from a power cut.  I reckon it'll need a factory reset to get it working again, which I had to do over the 2 days initially setting it up in November. I don't mind resetting the unit to get it working again but I want to avoid the memory and identity loss from happening again.  Is there something I did not do right during or after the setup?  Is there a chance the unit could be faulty?  What can I do once I've reset it to prevent this from reoccuring?

Thanks so much in avance for any advice.

Regards,

Liam

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS424 has reset after a power cut

With a single drive you do, of course, have no data latency.  But that may not have helped.  A power cut in the middle of a critical file system operation can render the volume inaccessible, even with RAID.  That is why an UPS is always recommended with a NAS, and that UPS needs to be monitored by the NAS to initiate a clean power-down before the battery runs out.

Message 2 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Superfly wrote:

there was a power cut in my area and now the unit has lost its identity

What do you mean by "lost its identity"???

Message 3 of 13
Superfly
Aspirant

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your replies. It seems then that there was no fault with the set up or with the unit itself but just how it operates. A power cut leads to the aforementioned problem.

I had named the drive and that showed in the display on the front. It now calls itself “nas-45-...”. I think once I get it reset and working again, I’ll invest in a UPS. How does that connect into the system? Directly or into the WiFi router via Ethernet?

Thanks again
Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Superfly wrote:

Thanks very much for your replies. It seems then that there was no fault with the set up or with the unit itself but just how it operates. A power cut leads to the aforementioned problem.

Actually usually not.  But it can.

@Superfly wrote:
I had named the drive and that showed in the display on the front. It now calls itself “nas-45-...”.

Obviously you'd named the NAS, not the drive.  Going back to the default name suggests that the NAS can't boot from the OS partition (or that the configuration files on the OS partition have been corrupted).  This is unusual - you might be able to see more useful information from RAIDar: https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

But if the NAS isn't detecting the disk, then it probably would go back to the default name in the boot loader.

I suggest testing the disk in a Windows PC with vendor tools - if there was any power surge related to the power failure, the drive might be damaged.  Use Lifeguard for WD disks, and Seatools for Seagate - and run the extended test, not just the short one (which really is more of a confidence test).

If the disk passes the test, then the NAS itself might have been damaged.  If that's the case, you can contact paid tech support, and ask for an RMA.  FWIW, I wouldn't volunteer the power-loss information.

@Superfly wrote:

I had named the drive and that showed in the display on the front. It now calls itself “nas-45-...”. I think once I get it reset and working again, I’ll invest in a UPS. How does that connect into the system? Directly or into the WiFi router via Ethernet?

Normally it is connected via a USB cable to the NAS.  The toolkit in the NAS is NUT (network ups tools).  They have some information o compatibility on their site. https://networkupstools.org/

APC is a popular brand, I use CyberPower which works with my OS-6 systems.

Message 5 of 13
Superfly
Aspirant

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies.  I appreciate the responses.  It's all new to me so trying to understand what's going on is a bit of a struggle. 

Yes, I named the NAS device and not the individual drive. 

Update: I've just done an electrical job in the house so needed to turn the sockets off.  Upon checking it again, it says on the display that it's in safe mode, which may explain why it isn't detecting the drive.  I have the NAS plugged into a surge protection extension lead so don't believe a surge caused the problem but not being here I can't guarantee that. 

Is the OS held on internal memory and not on the drive/s?  Bit of a catch 22 if it's stored on a drive it can't detect!

I now need to determine if anything is still at fault.  I'm going to remove the drive and do a factory reset on the NAS.  I'll put the drive into a USB SATA enclosure and see if it's still readable etc. plus see how everything has been loaded onto it.  I have all the files elsewhere so it won't matter if the NAS wants to format it on reinsertion.  It may of just got confused from the power cut and so not be faulty but I won't know that until I get it all up and running again.

I did a quick search on Amazon for UPS' and APC is a best seller.  A bit more research will be required to see how it links into the system.

Ok, thanks again for your tips.  Time to see what happens.

Message 6 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

The flash memory holds a very small boot loader that passes control to the OS on the drives as well as a clean copy of the OS used only for an OS re-install or update.  So, basically, yes, it runs from the drives.

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Superfly wrote:

I'm going to remove the drive and do a factory reset on the NAS. 

Don't bother trying this.  The factory install (and reset) format the drive and install the OS onto the disks.  It can't be done with no disks installed.

RAIDar should be able to tell if you if the disk isn't being detected, or if it is just not bootable. 

The simplest thing to do is to simply do the reset with the disk in place - and if that works, just set up the NAS and load the files again.

Message 8 of 13
Superfly
Aspirant

Hi again,

Thanks once again for your replies.

I had already taken the drive out before I saw your message. I connected it up to the pc using the SATA USB enclosure and it did not appear along with the other drives.  Using disk management it said the drive was not initialised and trying to initialise it didn't work either.  I then decided to put it back into the NAS and see if it would format it during the factory reset like you suggested.  It went through its process and at the end of the 10 minute time out it displayed "do_exit+4aa". I understand this means no disks are detected yet the bay indicator light showed blue. That's probably the same scenario as the pc where it know it's there but can't communicate with it. It seems then that the drive has become corrupted?  I do want to put 2 and eventually 4 8Tb SSD drives into it but my fault diagnosis has now hit the buffers. Gut feeling is the NAS is ok.

Regards,

Liam

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Superfly wrote:

I had already taken the drive out before I saw your message. I connected it up to the pc using the SATA USB enclosure and it did not appear along with the other drives.  Using disk management it said the drive was not initialised and trying to initialise it didn't work either. 

Gut feeling is the NAS is ok.

The obvious conclusion is that the drive has failed.  The drive wouldn't show up in Windows File Explorer, since the NAS doesn't use a file system that windows supports.  But initialization in Windows should have worked, and of course it should have worked in the NAS too.

So I'd exchange the drive with the seller next.

Message 10 of 13
Superfly
Aspirant

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply.

The drive should show up in File Explorer, display used and unused space and the files visible.  I agree the files contained within would be incompatible with Windows but they'd be visible non the less.  The fact nothing was visible shows the drive's become corrupted. 

I'd say that the power cut has corrupted the drive somehow and rendered it inaccessible.  Since the boot and OS files are contained on it as suggested, the NAS couldn't boot up and went into safe mode.  Maybe if there had of been 2 or more drives fitted in RAID, it could've booted up from one of those?

Anyway, we can summise for hours what's caused it but won't know for certain.  The drive came out of an old PVR when my provider sent me an upgraded box.  When in time I install the 2 or 4 SSD's and get the NAS back operating, I could simulate a power cut and see what happens although that could corrupt a £700 drive so might think twice about that!

Again, thanks for your replies,

Liam

Message 11 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@Superfly wrote:

The drive should show up in File Explorer, display used and unused space and the files visible.  I agree the files contained within would be incompatible with Windows but they'd be visible non the less.  The fact nothing was visible shows the drive's become corrupted. 

No, it won't.  The drive may show up as unformatted, but that's it unless you have the experimental MDADM and BTRFS drivers installed in Windows.  It should definately show up in Drive Management, though.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

@Superfly wrote:

No, it won't.  The drive may show up as unformatted, but that's it unless you have the experimental MDADM and BTRFS drivers installed in Windows.  It should definately show up in Drive Management, though.

A healthy drive pulled from the NAS won't show up in File Explorer at all.  It will show up in the Windows Disk Manager and the Device Manager, but that's it.  Windows doesn't show drives in File Explorer that it can't mount.

You will see that the partitions in the Windows Disk Manager (for some reason called volumes there), but you can't see what is in those partitions at all.  You can delete them - and that is one way to unformat a disk.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements