× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNASPro - Corrupted Flash

AmosNZ
Aspirant

ReadyNASPro - Corrupted Flash

Hi all

After mucking around with my NAS trying lots of things to recover data (mostly successful using reclaime) I'm now trying to get it setup again.  I have the same message in RaidAR as this post when trying to boot from a usb recovery, but when it boots I see "gpio_it87: no device" instead of the "gpio_it87: Unknown Chip found, Chip 8721 Revision 4" message.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-312-wont-boot-after-firmwa...

Is this fixable?  Obviously the unit is well out of warranty (and I'm not the original owner).

Thanks

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNASPro - Corrupted Flash

Assuming the recovery key was made correctly, that means the flash in the unit has failed, which is non-repairable.

I see from an ealier message that your Pro was running OS6.  That means you have to use an OS4 style USB recovery, either with an actual OS4 image (and then upgrade back to OS6) or a modified OS6 one (as you used in the conversion).  I don't know what message you would get if you tried an OS6 recovery on a legacy NAS. but maybe that one.

Message 2 of 8
AmosNZ
Aspirant

Thanks, I used the normal USB Recovery utility which only allows OS6 selections, I assumed that once the OS4 - OS6 upgrade had been completed it was effectively an OS6 device (other firmware upgrades have gone ok).  I'll see what i can find about creating an OS4 recovery USB and try that.

The NAS has a VGA header/monitor on it, and one of the occasional errors I was getting (earlier in the year) was 'no boot device' and I noticed it wasnt detecting the SMI flash sometimes.  Its detecting ok on all the recent restarts I've done but there could be some kind of physical flash issue too.

Message 3 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Nope, the OS6 upgrade for legacy units uses the same flash configuration as OS4, it just fools the system into thinking the OS6 image file it installs is an OS4 one.  The USB recovery system is clearly designed to look for specific types of hardware, and the OS6 one would not recognize the legacy hardware.  The error makes sense in that case.  I thought it did before you said that's what you did, but I'd never tried it.

But the fact that you are getting that far means you have a flash drive that should work once configured for an OS4.2.x style recovery.  Lots of folks have trouble finding one that will.

Message 4 of 8
AmosNZ
Aspirant

Ah ok, thanks for explaining that.

I created a OS4 recovery USB and booted from it.  It show a "syslinux 3.73 line and loading kernel and loading initrd.gz ... ready, then sits doing 'nothing' for about 30 seconds and powers off by itself.

If I power it back on and try to boot from the SMI flash it says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

That's a bad sign, likely that the internal flash has failed.

Message 6 of 8
AmosNZ
Aspirant

Yeah its not looking promising. I booted from a debian live usb and could see the SMI flash drive and the files on it, the version file indicated it was OS4 from the recovery so that part may have worked ok. 

As per previous posts im not a linux guy, is there a way to check if the SMI partition is bootable and/or blow it away and re-create it?

Message 7 of 8
mdgm
Virtuoso

@AmosNZ wrote:

Ah ok, thanks for explaining that.

I created a OS4 recovery USB and booted from it.  It show a "syslinux 3.73 line and loading kernel and loading initrd.gz ... ready, then sits doing 'nothing' for about 30 seconds and powers off by itself.

That would seem like a normal USB Boot Recovery.

@AmosNZ wrote:

If I power it back on and try to boot from the SMI flash it says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

That's not normal. The problem could be related to the flash or some other hardware. Worth trying disconnecting any USB devices and any disks installed and booting diskless and seeing if you still have that problem.

If you boot diskless the display on the NAS should indicate the error no disks detected.

If you were using say a disk formatted to boot windows for example that could cause weird issues. At least that's what I found after booting Windows on a ReadyNAS and then wanting to go back to using the device as a NAS.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements