× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 102 Volume: System volume root's usage is 86%.

Viffergb
Luminary

ReadyNas 102 Volume: System volume root's usage is 86%.

Hi

Over the last few days I have been presented with the following error message in the logs.  Can anyone please shed some light on this and what action I need to take in order to rectify it?

Volume: System volume root's usage is 86%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

Thank you.

Regards,

Graham

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
asimb
Star

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
asimb
Star

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Several folks have reported this on RN100 systems, and so far it has been linked to the AntiVirus service.  So turn that off right away.  That won't fix the problem, but it will keep it from getting any worse.

Actually fixing it yourself requires use of ssh - in particular there are temporary files in /var/lib/ClamAV that need to be deleted.  You could also do a factory reset on the NAS, rebuild it, and restore the files from a backup.

Of course paid support (my.netgear.com) can also fix this. 

Once you resolve it, I suggest that you keep the AntiVirus service off.  Netgear is removing it on RN100 systems in the next firmware release (6.10), as the RN100 no longer has enough memory to use it.

Message 3 of 8
Viffergb
Luminary

Hi asimb and StephenB

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  There's a lot to take in regarding the solution so I'm going to take things very slowly as it's been many years since I messed around at command prompt level, and that was only on Microsoft, not any other O/S's 😉.

First off, is turning off the 'Antivirus' simply a case of signing onto the NAS as 'Admin' then clicking 'System', then 'Settings' and then 'Antivirus' under 'Services' and then  untick the box 'Enable real-time antivirus scanning', or is there more to it? 

Message 4 of 8
Viffergb
Luminary

Just looked at the s/w manual and the Antivirus button is NOT showing green, so I assume that means it's turned off and therefore my disc root usage should not increase from now on, unless I'm missing something!

Now to go and digest that lengthy solution using 'ssh'.  I did spend time yesterday backing up the contents of the NAS to another drive, so if all else fails I could resort to a 'factory reset' and carry out a rebuild, but I'd rather avoid doing that if I can.

Message 5 of 8
asimb
Star

you can find a brief instruction how to do here  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-xx-Th...   message 3, 7 and 10 (especially jpg-attachment).

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Viffergb wrote:

Just looked at the s/w manual and the Antivirus button is NOT showing green, so I assume that means it's turned off and therefore my disc root usage should not increase from now on, unless I'm missing something!

Sounds like the service is turned off.

What apps are you running?

Message 7 of 8
Viffergb
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@Viffergb wrote:

Sounds like the service is turned off.

What apps are you running?

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.  My Antivirus was running - button was green - and then I disabled it, and having looked at the manual, I realised I had turned it off successfully.

No other apps are running.

I took the bull by the horns and used 'ssh' to gain access and then changed directory to "/var/lib/clamav" then "ls -la" and then used the command "rm -r clamav-*.tmp" as advised by 'asimb' and finally restarted the NAS.

It's all up and running and looking good so far 🤞.

Thanks for all your and 'asimb's help in getting this sorted.  It is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Graham

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements