× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 102 serial number NONE000200000

mafasttt
Aspirant

ReadyNas 102 serial number NONE000200000

Hi, been given an old ReadyNas that I want to test and after upgrading firmware, serial number changed to NONE000200000. Now I cant find it from readycloud.netgear.com. Can someone help? Thanks!

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you actually need to use ReadyCloud?  Have you tried using the local interface to set it up?

Message 2 of 11
mafasttt
Aspirant

Hi @Sandshark , thanks for your reply. Yes, it would be a plus to have ReadyCloud for better remote access. What do you mean by local interface to set it up? 

NAS had access to ReadyCloud but then it upgraded to OS 6.10.6 and the NAS itself lost its Serial Number. I've reseted it to Factory several times, but it allways starts with that new Serial Number NONE00200000 and I can't connect it through www.readycloud.com. I've seen in the community that this appens a lot and usualy moderators are able to solve it with a remote assistance.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 3 of 11
mdgm
Virtuoso

ReadyCLOUD requires a unique 13-digit NETGEAR serial number.

"NONE000200000" is a serial the system falls back to when it can't read the serial number. It probably also has fallen back to the default MAC address for eth0 as well.

I don't think I'd conclude that this happens a lot. There are a lot of units out there and a small percentage may run into this problem at some point.

This issue with the RN102, RN104 and RN2120 OS6 ARM units may seem similar, but is a very different issue to the one seen with legacy x86 units (e.g. Ultra, Pro). The steps to fix are completely different.

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Tagging @JeraldM, to call his attention to this request.

Message 5 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

By the local interface, I mean https://nas.ip.address/admin, where you use the correct IP address, of course.  RAIDar can also take you to the local interface.

Netgear unnecessarily makes it more complicated by directing you to ReadyCloud for all admin access.  It's part of them positioning it as a "local cloud" (a contradiction in terms, to be sure).  Unless you need remote access, you don't need ReadyCloud at all.  But you do need a valid serial number for ReadyCloud.

On the ARM based machines, I believe the serial number is in uboot, but I don't know the details and don't think there is any way a user can fix it.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

By the local interface, I mean https://nas.ip.address/admin, where you use the correct IP address, of course.  RAIDar can also take you to the local interface.

To clarify, I think the original point here was to check that ReadyCloud was enabled on the cloud page of the local interface, and also confirm that the NAS was able to reach the internet.

But the bad serial number will prevent ReadyCloud from working so there's no need to check this until the serial is fixed.

@mafasttt:  Paid support would be an option if the NAS wasn't used.  If you are still in contact with the original owner, you should be able to arrange support through them.  The other possibility is that a mod could help ( @JeraldM )

Even if you can't get the serial number repaired, you still have some good options for remote access.  I use OpenVPN (which is a service in my Netgear Router).  @Sandshark uses ZeroTier (which is available as a third-party app for the NAS).  Depending on your needs, you could also go with one of the other cloud apps, or perhaps use NextCloud (available from rnxtras.com).

Message 7 of 11
mafasttt
Aspirant

Yes, didn't mentioned it before but I was able to access the NAS OS, the only thing I can't get to work, is ReadyCloud, that is of some importante to me, because Its one of the few Clouds not blocked where I work!
Thanks for all your insights, guys!
Message 8 of 11
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the ping @StephenB!

@mafasttt, I sent you a PM regarding the issue that you're having.

Regards, 

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 11
Laureijs
Aspirant

Hi, could you explain the solution as it's not posted in the public domain

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Laureijs wrote:

Hi, could you explain the solution as it's not posted in the public domain

It's not something that users can do themselves.  Netgear has specialized tools for this that aren't available to the public.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements