× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 102 unresponsive when accessing from win7

pwu_1
Aspirant

ReadyNas 102 unresponsive when accessing from win7

Hi,
I recently upgraded from a ReadyNas Duo V1 to a ReadyNas 102 and I'm having some weird issues with the 102 that I hope someone can help me with.
The 102 is configured with 2 Seagate ST4000DM000 4 TB drives that are on the HCL list. It is connected to my network via a D-Link DGS-2208 gigabit switch connected to a uVerse/2wire 3800HGV(non-gigabit) modem/router. The computers are connected to the network either by the gigabit switch or a Linksys wireless access point.
The issue I'm having is that when I map a drive from my windows 7 PC to the NAS, when I'm trying to do anything with the mapped NAS drive, the drive acts like it is hung. For example, if I try to copy a file from my local harddrive(C:) to the mapped NAS drive, windows explorer would freeze up. If I try to browse the mapped NAS drive, sometimes windows explorer freezes up and it'll eventually work but a lot of times I get an error that says the specified drive is not available any more.
The weird thing is from the same PC, if I FTP to the drive, it seems to work ok and I can ftp my files there no problems.
So I guess my question is, is this a configuration problem of my network(no issues with the DUO) or is my 102 not configured correctly or something else?
I've tried this on 2 different PCs running Windows 7 and both are having the same issue. Basically, as is, the 102 is un-useable since I can't really access any files
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 8
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNas 102 unresponsive when accessing from win7

what FW version is the 102 running?

Do you experience the same behavior when using \\NASIP_Adress (ex \\192.168.2.x) on the windows explorer?
Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Also, have you checked the SMART stats on the two drives?
Message 3 of 8
pwu_1
Aspirant

Hi Thanks for the replies. the 102 has 6.2.2 firmware. I installed the antivirus-Plus app and thought maybe that was causing issues so removed it but still no change.
The way I'm mapping the drive is by opening windows explorer on my win7 pc and right clicking on computer, then select Map network drive, then type in \\<IP address of the102>\<share name>
I did check the SMAR status on the 2 drives. Both are basically new drives and no SMART warnings or anything(no errors, no reallocated sectors, etc).
Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

This lockups happen on ethernet or wifi?

Also, are jumbo frames disabled?
Message 5 of 8
pwu_1
Aspirant

Ok, so I've been playing around with the 102, changing configurations and things. I guess the cause of my problem is the Anti-Virus after all. I un-installed the additional App thinking that would disable the Anti-Virus but I didn't know I had to go into System->Settings to turn off the built-in Anti-Virus.
Once I turned it off I was able to browse the shares from my Win7 PCs. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I toggled the anti-virus on and off and few more times. Each time the anti-virus was enabled it would pretty much freeze up.
So I guess for now I'm just going to leave the anti-virus off. But yeah, kind of disappointed. In my opinion, Netgear should have disabled this feature in the 102 series since it seems like it makes the NAS un-useable, at least for me
Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We do have some anti-virus fixes in 6.2.3 Beta: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=78866
Message 7 of 8
pwu_1
Aspirant

Thanks for the info on the beta. I installed it this morning on my 102 and have been accessing the NAS through out the day and so far it seems to be much better with the Anti-Virus enabled. Response time seems to be fine most of the time except seems like every once in a while it still very slow, particularly accessing the mapped drive for the first time after extended idle time. But I think I can live with that for now. Hopefully this beta will become the GA version soon
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements