× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 102 - upgrade disk sizes on existing raid, best procedure ?

Proenca
Follower

ReadyNas 102 - upgrade disk sizes on existing raid, best procedure ?

Hi there,

I have a ReadyNAS 102 for years which is faultless and very happy with it - using 2 x 3TB which I'm using RAID 1 ( 3TB total in XRAID configuration ) which are getting full.

Need to upgrade to 2 x 6TB or even 2 x 8TB - both are supported by the 102.

My question is what is the best procedure on how to do it :

- take out the two disks that are being used

- install one of those disks in an external enclosure

- install two new disks on the 102

- connect the external disk on the back of the 102 and copy

Is this ok ?

If I put the old disk ( one of them ) in the external enclosure , when connecting will the 102 recognize that is disk 1 of 2 and its share, volumes and etc ?

Or... ? 🙂

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNas 102 - upgrade disk sizes on existing raid, best procedure ?

First, make sure your backup is up to date, as the re-sync process is drive intensive and a drive near failure can be pushed over the edge.

With power on, replace drive one, and allow it to sync.  That'll  take several hours on a 102.  If it reports it's complete in just a few minutes, ignore it, I've occasionally see it report that the OS partition re-sync is complete, you need the data volume to re-sync.

Once re-sync is complete, replace drive two.  It will do another sync about the same duration as the first, then another for the expansion. 

Your orignal drives are no longer in sync, so you cannot put them back in the NAS as a pair.  But if something happens and you failed to back something up, you can put just one drive back in alone (with power off) and boot with it, and it should boot in degraded mode, but with access to the data.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNas 102 - upgrade disk sizes on existing raid, best procedure ?

First, make sure your backup is up to date, as the re-sync process is drive intensive and a drive near failure can be pushed over the edge.

With power on, replace drive one, and allow it to sync.  That'll  take several hours on a 102.  If it reports it's complete in just a few minutes, ignore it, I've occasionally see it report that the OS partition re-sync is complete, you need the data volume to re-sync.

Once re-sync is complete, replace drive two.  It will do another sync about the same duration as the first, then another for the expansion. 

Your orignal drives are no longer in sync, so you cannot put them back in the NAS as a pair.  But if something happens and you failed to back something up, you can put just one drive back in alone (with power off) and boot with it, and it should boot in degraded mode, but with access to the data.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements