× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 10200 - replacing bad disk on a RAID 1 configuration?

christianrogari
Aspirant

ReadyNas 10200 - replacing bad disk on a RAID 1 configuration?

Hello to everyone,

I'm having some problems on my ReadyNas 10200, already configurated in Raid1 with a Single HDD a couple of years ago, after added the second HDD a few days ago.

Before adding the second HDD the ReadyNas Control Panel on my monitor showed a single HDD running (of course), with the green LED. The Control Panel didn't showed any volume problems, in fact the state of the volume was defined "Healthy" until that moment.

After added the second HDD (just two days ago) something worrying has happened: a few seconds after started the synchronization, on the top of the control panel appeared a bar displayng some error alerts, as for example "impossibile inviare il messaggio di avviso" and "lo stato di integrità del volume data è passato da Unprotecded a Degraded",  as you can see here below, in the ReadyNas Registry:

ReadyNas 10200 - 21.11.2020 - Registro errori elaborati dal Nas subito dopo l'aggiunta del  secondo HDD (slot 2)ReadyNas 10200 - 21.11.2020 - Registro errori elaborati dal Nas subito dopo l'aggiunta del secondo HDD (slot 2)

I thought that the error alerts was simply caused by the uncompleted synchronization, so I kept waiting for the synchronization to finish.

After about 11 hours, the synchronization ended. Both the HDDs was showed "ONLINE" and both with the green led on the ReadyNas Control Panel, but in the little window on the left of the screen was showed the message "il volume è danneggiato" (see the picture below).

sincronizzazione completata ma errore volume danneggiato.jpg

If before adding the second HDD, with a single disk (in the slot 1) the volume was "HEALTHY", why immediately after adding the second disk (in the slot 2), the volume was identified as degraded or damaged?

The two HDDs are identical, two WD RED 4TB EFRX purchased both new (not used, not reconditioned).

The installation of the second disk was done with the device running and without carrying out any sort of preventive formatting, as suggested by the manual. So can you tell me if I made a mistake in adding the new disk?

However, as I said, at the end of the synchronization both the disks was showed online and wit the green led on the screen, so I tryied to rebot the Nas, hoping that the error could disappear, but instead the little window on the left of the ReadyNas Control Panel still show the message "Il volume è danneggiato".

How to do to know if it is an array problem or a real physical integrity problem of one of the disks?

If the problem is due to a bad disk, how to do to know if the disk to replace is the one in slot 1 or the one in slot 2?

In the event that one of the two disks really needs to be replaced, should the replacement be done with the device off or with the device on and after completed the synchronization (anytime I turn on the device the Nas run the synchronization of the disks)?

.....and the replacement of the disk must be done according to the same procedure regardless of whether the disk to be replaced is the one in slot 1 or the one in slot 2?

RN102 manualRN102 manual

In summary, please is there someone who could kindly help me solve the problem without losing the data on the nas and to get back to having a fully functional and reliable ReadyNas?

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNas 10200 - replacing bad disk on a RAID 1 configuration?

I don't know why you opened a new topic for what you already started in another.  The progression you saw, as was explained in the other thread, is perfectly normal, at least up until the completion of the sync.  The wording of the messages may make it sound otherwise, but it's not an indication of anything amiss.

You went from a healthy, intentionally non-redundant volume to a degraded (not redundant) volume that is intended to be redundant.  The NAS simply changed the definition of exactly the same redundancy state based on the desired final condition and then started the sync process to establish the redundancy.

The only issue here is that the RAID sync did not complete properly.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the process you followed or the messages you saw along the way, which were all quite normal.  One possibility is that the new drive is faulty.  The old one may have developed a problem duing the sync, but I think you'd see much worse symptoms (a dead volume) if that were the case.

Powering down the NAS and testing each drive using a PC and vendor tools is a good next step.  I actually always do that before I ever add a drive to an array.  There may also be clues in the downloadable log .zip file.

Message 2 of 5
christianrogari
Aspirant

good evening Sandshark,

when you talked about the downloadable zip file you mean the zip registry file which I could download from the registry tab or something else?....If you're talking about it, then I downloaded it today, but there's a lot of files inside and I can't understand what I need to search and check...inside the zip also there's a "volumetxt file, I opened it...there's many infos about the two disks, also about the disks' sectors but It seems to be alright...

Maybe is there any particular txt file that i could cut and copy here to let you check if there is something wrong?... maybe you might be able to find the problem to solve right away..............

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@christianrogari wrote:

If you're talking about it, then I downloaded it today, but there's a lot of files inside and I can't understand what I need to search and check...inside the zip also there's a "volumetxt file,

Please cut/paste mdstat.log into a reply, and then we can go from there.  The "insert code" </> tool in the toolbar is useful for that.

It would also be useful to power down the NAS, and test drive 2 with WD's lifeguard program in a PC.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, that .zip file.  In English, it's the "Logs" page, but from your snapshopt above, that's what it is in Italian.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements