× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 104 Boot from USB failed! after firmware update

ukmach11
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104 Boot from USB failed! after firmware update

Hello,

I have updated my readyNas 104 through raidar from firmware 6.9.4 hotfix tp 6.9.5.  It is now flashing its lights and stating Boot from USB failed!  I have not tried a cold restart yet or anything likfe factory reset (if you can).  There are no USBs or an UPS attached.  It is out of its warranety

So Im going to try USB recovery following the arm firmware from this guide:

https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system#M...

Is there anything else that I need to consider first and I only have a 64gb usb stick, can I use this?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas 104 Boot from USB failed! after firmware update

Hi @ukmach11

Welcome to the Community!

You should use no more than 32GB cap of USB drive and formatted on FAT32. You may also have to ready several USB drives to try.

https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system#M...

To create a USB recovery drive for an ARM-based system:

You can use these instructions for recovering ARM-based ReadyNAS storage systems.
If your ReadyNAS system is x86-based, you must use the USB Recovery Tool software, which is only supported on Windows.

1. Find a USB drive with a capacity that is greater than 256 MB, but no more than 32 GB.
  2. Ensure that the USB drive has only one partition.
  3. Format the USB drive as FAT, FAT-32, or MS-DOS file system.
  4. Make a note of the drive letter your USB drive is assigned after formatting.
  5. Copy data to the USB:
    • If your ReadyNAS system is an RN102, RN104, or RN2120, copy initrd-recovery.gz and NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt files from the Marvell directory onto the USB drive. Then copy to the USB drive the uImage-recovery file from the Marvell/[MODEL] directory, where [MODEL] is rn102, rn104, or rn2120.
    • If your ReadyNAS system is an RN200 or RN210 series, copy initrd-recovery.gz, NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt, and uImage-recovery from the rn2xx folder to your USB drive.
  6. After you prepare the USB drive, follow the directions in this guide under To boot your desktop model ReadyNAS from USB or To boot your rack-mount model ReadyNAS from USB.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ukmach11

Welcome to the Community!

You should use no more than 32GB cap of USB drive and formatted on FAT32. You may also have to ready several USB drives to try.

To create a USB recovery drive for an ARM-based system:

You can use these instructions for recovering ARM-based ReadyNAS storage systems.
If your ReadyNAS system is x86-based, you must use the USB Recovery Tool software, which is only supported on Windows.

1. Find a USB drive with a capacity that is greater than 256 MB, but no more than 32 GB.
  2. Ensure that the USB drive has only one partition.
  3. Format the USB drive as FAT, FAT-32, or MS-DOS file system.
  4. Make a note of the drive letter your USB drive is assigned after formatting.
  5. Copy data to the USB:
    • If your ReadyNAS system is an RN102, RN104, or RN2120, copy initrd-recovery.gz and NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt files from the Marvell directory onto the USB drive. Then copy to the USB drive the uImage-recovery file from the Marvell/[MODEL] directory, where [MODEL] is rn102, rn104, or rn2120.
    • If your ReadyNAS system is an RN200 or RN210 series, copy initrd-recovery.gz, NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt, and uImage-recovery from the rn2xx folder to your USB drive.
  6. After you prepare the USB drive, follow the directions in this guide under To boot your desktop model ReadyNAS from USB or To boot your rack-mount model ReadyNAS from USB.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 3
ukmach11
Aspirant

All done, booted into 3.9.5.  USB recovery worked with Sandisk Ultra 32gb for anyones reference

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements