× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 104 - Scrubbing & Disk spindown / performance

JohnCPun
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104 - Scrubbing & Disk spindown / performance

Hello,

I've got a ReadyNAS 104, and I've got it set up to do scrubbing once every 3 months.

However I have noticed that scrubbing takes quite a long time (it started last satuday 15-4 at 1:00, and it is now (21-4, 18:15) at 82,5%).

I do have Disk spindown set up to spindown after 15 minutes of inactivity (during weekdays during the day and during the nights all week), and I was wondering what the effect would be on the performance of scrubbing.

I was under the impression that it would only spin down the disks when they aren't active and I would think that scrubbing counts as activity, or am I seeing this incorrectly? I noticed in various other scrubbing performance topics that it was always questioned if the person having the problem had disk spindown enabled.

Anyway, for a bit of extra detail:

I've got it setup to use RAID10 with 4x 2 TB HDD (so no SSD) @ 7200 rpm

I am running firmware 6.5.1 (just noticed that there is an update available, but didn't want to interrupt the scrub)

Right now I've got just a tad over 1 TB used (2,61 of 3,63 TB free).

Thanks!

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 104 - Scrubbing & Disk spindown / performance

Try looking on the performance tab.  If the temperature isn't shown next to a disk drive, then that disk drive is spun down.  So if you are seeing the temperature disappear from a drive from time to time, the spindown is happening.

You can of course temporarily disable spindown, and see if the pace increases.

Message 2 of 3
JohnCPun
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas 104 - Scrubbing & Disk spindown / performance

Thanks, that will certainly help me check what is going on 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements