× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 104 behaves strangely after adding disks

attila111
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104 behaves strangely after adding disks

Hi,

I have been using th unit with two 2GB disks for a long time, and ran into a problem when adding two more drives now (WD 4TB RED). First the system did a resync over 30 hours with one of the drives (the other being grey), apparently succesfully. At the end however, the system froze, displaying error message "page_address+8" on the LED display, while the unit became unaccessible (admin interface and shares as well). After a few hours of inactivity, I restarted, the system started resync again, this time shares remaining unaccessible, the admin interface showing as below: 

The resyinc is still going on, with the following warnings coming up continually:

Can someone advise what is going on? I saw some similar threads, but not sure what is happening or what am I supposed to do with it.

Thanks, A. 

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas 104 behaves strangely after adding disks

Képernyőfotó 2017-09-08 - 17.34.29.png

Message 2 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

Képernyőfotó 2017-09-08 - 15.15.05.png

Message 3 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

Message 4 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

At this point, your safest thing is to do nothing and wait for the sync to complete unless you have a complete backup and are willing to just stop it, do a factory default, and restore the data. 

I can see a possibility of why it would show two volumes, and possibly therr.  The original two drives plus 2TB of expansion from the two new ones would be one layer, and the remaiing 2TB of the new ones would be another.  When you cycled power, maybe it interpreted the second layer as a second volume, and possibly a third since the two drives weren't merged yet.  Once sync is complete, that should not be catestrophic to your data, though you might need to copy if off and do a factory reset to get the state right if it persisted so you can use the extra space.

Apparently, one of the recent changes in the OS is that it now picks up "dead" volume mount points to allow you to delete them.  But another user had something similar and ended up deleting the wrong volume, losing all his data when it had survivied up to then.  So come back with an updated status if it completes and you still have "phantom" volumes shown.

If the NAS looked like it was still crunching away on the re-sync (as indicated by the drive access LEDs), cycling power was a bad idea, even if it was not accessible via conventional means.  If RAIDar also could not find it, then maybe you had no choice.  SSH could have been the ultimate way to find out, if you have it enabled.  But that's water under the bridge, as you did not come here and ask for advise before cycling power.

Message 5 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

Hi @Sandshark,

Thanks a lot for your help! I will do accordingly. This means that the fact that the admin display still shows '0' for used and free space does not necesseraly mean data loss? That would be a load off... Right now it is at 60%, shares still not accessible, however, I can access the unit on the network (via Finder), and now the root libraries as well - but clicking on them still takes me nowehere. 

No doubt, next time I probably write first... Just in case it is useful information though, the error message came at the end of the sync (last number I saw was 98.xx percent - about an hour later I checked because the shares disappeared, and regular backups returned errors on our laptops). Then no HDD activity for a long time, no access in any way (SSH disabled - honestly, I cannot do much with it unless being instructed, and Netgear says may deny support when it is on...)

Message 6 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

If it was the end of the sync of the first new drive where the error ocurred, not the beginning of the sync of the second, it could be bad news.  But anything you do at this point is more likely to do more harm than good.

This is, by the way, why I don't recommend putting in two new drives at once unless you are creating a second volume with them.  There may have been an opportunity to at least back up your data, if not completely fix the problem, between the end of the first re-sync and start of the next.

I understand the issue about SSH.  Since most of my NASes have been purchased used, I never had support on those, so it's not a factor with me.  But, of course, I'm a bit more savy about the OS than the average user (though no Linux expert, to be sure).  The reality is that Netgear will deny support if they think you created the problem in the back end via SSH.  So, having it disabled proves you never did that.  I've had so much more insight into what is going on with my NASes via SSH that I can't imagine being without it.  Too bad there isn't a "read-only SSH" mode where you could look for, but not cause (though unfortunately, also not fix), problems.

Message 7 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

Hi @Sandshark,

It seems like resync finished - and another started (The first cycle had to speed up significantly at the end to get finished by now). This time I see one less drive:

Képernyőfotó 2017-09-09 - 7.21.17.png

The same warnings coming continually, except that insetad two "remove volumes" message I only see one:

Képernyőfotó 2017-09-09 - 7.22.27.png

All looks the same: see the NAS on the network and  the root directories, but nothing else (clicking on them closes finder as original item cannot be found). 

Any thoughts...?

Message 8 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

I can't see your screen grabs yet, but I would say that doesn't sound good.  It should have started a second resync for the 2 x 2TB second layer from the 4TB drives, but I would have expected your data to return at that point.

Message 9 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

Hi @Sandshark,

Thanks - I cannot see now either, trying again with lower resolution...Képernyőfotó 2017-09-09 - 7.21.17.png

Message 10 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

Képernyőfotó 2017-09-09 - 7.22.27.png

Message 11 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

A moderator needs to approve them before they can be seen.

Message 12 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

Hi @Sandshark,

Well, the second run seems to be done, right he admin page changed, no shares visible, only one permanent alarm as below. There appears to be some hdd activity, but very rare. Is there something still happening...? Stiil supposed to wait, or anything can be don now? Thanks in advance, A.

Képernyőfotó 2017-09-11 - 7.12.32.png

Message 13 of 22
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello attila111,

This is not a good sign we are seeing from the screenshot, the hard drives are in red and there is no volume after the rsync. Can you provide screenshot of the logs again please. Also the concern may require assistance from the engineers and/or higher tier who can remote in to the NAS and fix this from the backend. 

Unfortunately, It shows on your records that the support warranty of your product is already expired. You may try contacting support center and avail a support contract. That should allow you to extend the support for your product so they can escalate your issue to L3 or patiently wait for anyone in the community who has the knowledge in the SSH commands and fixing some issues from the backend.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

Hi @Marty_M

Thanks for your response. I just thought I wait a while to see what @Sandshark thinks, and go from there, but obviously more than happy to get any input. You wrote I should send 'screenshots of the logs' again - can you specify what exactly you mean? What I sent once were the 'alarms' I believe, that were constantly being generated at that time. Right now there is only one entry ("remove incative volumes", see below)

I have downloaded the logs as well earlier, just in case they were needed, and I can certainly download them again, as RAIDar and the admin intefaces seems to be working (saying seems to be because since the warning of Sandshark, I have not done anything but watching and refreshing the screen). Btw there is no change in the past couple fo days, the hdd LED ligh on the unit shows some hdd activities, admin page is the same, I cannot see volumes, through Finder I can get to the drive, and see the root directories, but nothing below.

Thanks again, A.

Képernyőfotó 2017-09-12 - 20.41.04.png

Message 15 of 22
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello attila111,

The logs have confirmed that the concern need assistance on the backend for possible fix. There is a possibility that while the new hard drives were syncing one of the existing hard drive fail and that brought the volume down. You may contact support to avail contract for escalation or wait for some one from the community that has knowledge and experience on accessing the NAS on the backend for assistance.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 16 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

Hi @Marty_M,

Thanks, I tried to check, but the support pages I found apparently do not contain support for these kind of issues. Can you please help me with information on whom I can contact about the possibilities?

Thanks & regards, A.

Message 17 of 22
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello attila111,

I do apologize for the confusion, what I meant was to contact our phone support to avail contract for escalation to our level 3 for fix. Or we can patiently wait for someone from the community who is familiar with in SSH/Telnet access to the NAS and help with the concern.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 18 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

@Marty_M,

Thanks, but that is what I understoon, but the contact details are not really clear, if you could help with that, I would really appreciate.

Thanks again, A.

Message 19 of 22
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello attila111,

I understand, for support you may go to this support site here and create a case and/or possibly open a chat support and raise your concern. There is a possibility you may be require to purchase a Pay Per Incident (PPI) contract or Data Recovery contract or both. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 20 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

Sorry to take so long to reply.  I had an unwanted guest named Hurricane Irma come calling,

Unfortunately, I concur with @Marty_M that you will need Netgear assistance to get anything back.  And, unfortunately, it is possible that nothing is recoverable.

Adding new drives puts a load on the old ones for re-sync, and it is possible that another drive failed.

Message 21 of 22
attila111
Aspirant

Hi @Sandshark, I see, just trying to contact support. Thanks a lot for your input - and hope things are getting better there.

Regards, A.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements