× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 104 firmware update caused "Boot from USB - Failed" message

neophytte
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104 firmware update caused "Boot from USB - Failed" message

Hi,

I have a ReadyNas 104 with 4Tb, 5Tb and 6Tb in three of the four slots.

This morning I went in to look at the disk status and make sure I still had a decent amount of space after some recent downloads and all was good. However it also prompted me to do a Firmware upgrade to (I think) 6.10.8 - it had already downloaded and was just requiring a reboot, so I proceeded with that.

After about 1/2 hr I checked the ReadyNas, but was unable to connect, going to the device it had "Boot from USB - Failed" on the LCD. I disconnected my backup USB drive (the only USB device connected) and tried to reboot. The power button appeared dead, so had to do a hard reset by removing the power cable. After this, I was presented with the same message.

I created a USB recovery disk via the instructions at https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system?a... which seemed to succeed - it displayed the correct readouts as per other forum discussions and shut down as expected, but upon rebooted, I got the same message "Boot from USB - Failed" (with no USB devices connected).

A further forum search revealed one person had replaced a dead CR2032 battery, which had fixed a similar problem, so I replaced mine (which was dead), and reassembled the device.

Upon reboot, I am now still getting the "Boot from USB - Failed" message.

What else can I try?

Thanks

Richard

Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 104 firmware update caused "Boot from USB - Failed" message

Do you recall what firmware you were running before?

If you power down and remove the disks, and then power up again, are you seeing a "no disks" status on the LCD?

Message 2 of 16
neophytte
Aspirant

Hi,

The firmware was probably 6.10.7 as I log in fairly frequently (once every couple of weeks) and did a firmware upgrade not long ago. It would have been reasonably up to date, unless there was a bunch of dot point updates together.

No, when I power down, remove disks and power up, I get the "Boot from USB - Failed" wording on the LCD screen.

Cheers

Richard

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@neophytte wrote:

No, when I power down, remove disks and power up, I get the "Boot from USB - Failed" wording on the LCD screen.

If you have any USB devices connected to the NAS, try again with them removed.

If that doesn't help, then it sounds like the NAS flash memory might have failed or gotten corrupted - that looks like a USB drive to the system.  Hopefully corrupted, as the flash isn't something that can be replaced.

You could try the USB recovery again, and see if that resolves it.  Use the 6.10.8 firmware on the recovery disk.

Message 4 of 16
neophytte
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks, but there were no USB devices connected.

I've used several differing flash drives and have had a couple which wouldn't read (with them installed, I got the same "Boot from USB - Failed" message), although with one of the Verbatim drives, it went through the recovery - which lasted considerably longer than when it went through yesterday (about 3 mins, compared to about 30 seconds), but after it shutdown and it restarted, I got the "Boot from USB - Failed" message again.

This also happened with another drive, one of the two Lexars I tried.

I also downloaded OS 6.10.7 and reformatted the most successful Verbatim, which went through the same motions. The only difference was that when the ReadyNas booted, I got a "Welcome to ReadyNas" prior to getting the "Boot from USB - Failed" message.

Are there any other suggestions? I'm not clear how doing a recommended firmware update has corrupted or otherwise caused issues with the flash memory ... ?

Thanks

Richard

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@neophytte wrote:

I'm not clear how doing a recommended firmware update has corrupted or otherwise caused issues with the flash memory

Firmware updates do write to the flash memory - the install image is saved there, for use in an OS reinstall and/or factory defaults.

And like everything else, the flash memory will eventually fail.  

@neophytte wrote:

Are there any other suggestions?

If it is flash, then there's nothing that can be done.  About the only component in the RN104 that can be replaced is the power adapter.   

I'm tagging @Sandshark in case he has some other suggestions.

Message 6 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

ARM based ReadyNAS use U-Boot, not SysLinux in Flash like an Intel based NAS.  That appears to be what has been corrupted.  Of course, a USB recovery is supposed to fix that.

Do you regularly re-boot your NAS, or might this have been the first time in a long time?  It may not be the update that caused the problems, but the mandatory re-boot revealed a problem you didn't know about.

What do you see with no drives installed?

Message 7 of 16
neophytte
Aspirant

Hi @Sandshark,

As mentioned in message 3:

> No, when I power down, remove disks and power up, I get the "Boot from USB - Failed" wording on the LCD screen.

In fact, the only time I didn't get that (briefly) was when I put OS6.10.7 on the Verbatim flash drive and did a USB recovery from there - it took about 3 minutes to install that one, then gave me the "Welcome to ReadyNAS" on the LCD, then went back to "Boot from USB - failed" Message on the screen.

I looked through my old receipts and had purchased this machine 4 years ago, so it's not particularly old, but likely out of warranty.

Cheers

Richard

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@neophytte wrote:

I looked through my old receipts and had purchased this machine 4 years ago, so it's not particularly old, but likely out of warranty.

The datasheet says the hardware warranty for the RN104 is 3 years.

Message 9 of 16
neophytte
Aspirant

@Sandsharksorry, I missed this one:

>Do you regularly re-boot your NAS, or might this have been the first time in a long time? >It may not be the update that caused the problems, but the mandatory re-boot revealed >a problem you didn't know about.

Generally about once a month, but I've probably missed the last month as it takes so long to scan the volumes and come back up again.

> The datasheet says the hardware warranty for the RN104 is 3 years.

So, is this a case of 'no more can be done'?

Thanks

Richard

Message 10 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Quite some time ago I saw a post where a user went in and "cleaned up" U-Boot manually and got a seemingly bricked unit to work.  But I have no link nor is that in my wheelhouse where I can help.  I don't actively use any ARM based ReadyNAS.  I have one that's part of my "sandbox" collection and a few that I offer for sale via PM when a user here is in need.  (I sent such a PM to you.)

While it may not be that nothing more can be done, I'm afraid there may be no mountain guides to assist you in any further steps.

Message 11 of 16
neophytte
Aspirant

> While it may not be that nothing more can be done, I'm afraid there may be no mountain guides to assist you in any further steps.

Thanks for the reply.

I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with NetGear stuff; this is my third NAS in about 12 years that come under that banner, with the first failing with a "catastophic error" that caused a total loss of data (an NV+), the next NV+ (which was a replacement for the first one to try and get data from the disks) had hardware issues and I managed to replace it with the RND104 - now this has failed with a potential flash issue, which realistically could be avoided by Netgear adding a line into their code to check that the md5 sum was equivalent to what they expect from the downloaded file.

This is in a home environment, with pretty low usage, we use it as a store mainly for photos from phones, and videos that the kids watch.

I also note my last correspondence with Netgear was asking them to register this product against my username, as some errors on their website prevented me from doing this - a task which still hasn't been completed four years after purchase.

With this poor quality control and negligible support, it's time for me to leave the Netgear circle - I simply don't have the time and money to keep throwing at a new NAS every 4 years.

Cheers

Richard

Message 12 of 16
neophytte
Aspirant

@Sandshark 

> and a few that I offer for sale via PM when a user here is in need. (I sent such a PM to you.)

Never received a PM from you.

Cheers

Richard

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@neophytte wrote:

Never received a PM from you.

The way to check is to click on the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Message 14 of 16
neophytte
Aspirant

> The way to check is to click on the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

I have 0 messages ... as per screen shot attached

Cheers

Richard

Message 15 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

He is correct, my PM didn't go through.  I re-sent.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements