× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 104 upgraded disc still showing old capacity

Greysquirrel
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104 upgraded disc still showing old capacity

Hi

I run my nas in JBOD mode to get maximum capacity from the discs. I have spent the last 5 days copying everything to an external hard drive before upgrading a 1tb disk to a 6tb. I have installed the new disk and created a new JBOD volume, yet it still shows as 7.26tb free (should be nearer 13tb).

Any ideas? the discs are all recognised in the volumes screen (6tb, 3tb, 3tb, 1tb).

Thanks

Model: RN10442D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 104 upgraded disc still showing old capacity

You are using one volume to span all disks?  Hopefully you know the risks. The total size would be around 11.8 TiB.

You should probably download the log zip file, and look at mdstat.log.

What firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 5
Greysquirrel
Aspirant

Yes, one volume across all discs. I now have a complete backup on an external HDD so somewhat reduce the risk in the future (it's only films and i still have the original discs in the loft).

I'm running the latest firmware.

Would a better idea to be to create of a volume for each disk and then if one fails i have only lost that volume in any event?

Message 3 of 5
Greysquirrel
Aspirant

Will upload mdstat when i can.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Greysquirrel wrote:

Would a better idea to be to create of a volume for each disk and then if one fails i have only lost that volume in any event?

In my opinion, yes.  It is also easier to access those volumes in Linux (or ReclaiMe), and there is no chance of the disks getting out of sync.

The cost is that you have to manually balance the storage across the volumes (occasionally shifting a share from one disk to another).  Also, the max share size you can have is smaller (limited by the largest drive in the system).

I've done this myself in smaller NAS (duo v1, RN102, RN202), and I didn't find the manual balancing to be too burdensome in practice.  Though you might want to get a second 6 TB drive, and leave two slots empty for future expansion.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements