× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 10400 showing Boot from USB failed after updating to 6.9.5

mikewyatt
Aspirant

ReadyNas 10400 showing Boot from USB failed after updating to 6.9.5

Notified that update from 6.9.4 was available, set it to update to 6.9.5 and after downloading it went through the install process but then kept on doing it for some 4 times asking to reboot each time, finally it seemed to work but gave the USB failed error at the end.

What is best way forward, try to reinstall 6.9.4 or try again with 6.9.5? where do I get the files to do either?

Further problem is I am a Mac user so what is best recovery procedure?

Regards

Mike

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @mikewyatt

Welcome to the Community!

You may want to perform USB Recovery and update to OS 6.9.5. You may have to use/try several USB flash drives as some don't work. *You will need to use a Windows PC for the preparation*

Please make sure you get the OS 6.9.5 here.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

You may want to perform USB Recovery and update to OS 6.9.5. You may have to use/try several USB flash drives as some don't work.

Hi @Marc_V 

I believe that that preparing the flash drive requires a Windows PC, and can't be done in a mac.  Is my understanding correct?

Message 3 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @StephenB

My apologies, I forgot to mention that they need to prepare it on a Windows PC. Thanks for the reminder.

Regards

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

My apologies, I forgot to mention that they need to prepare it on a Windows PC. Thanks for the reminder.

Looking more carefully, it looks like a USB recovery disk for an ARM NAS can be made on a mac.  x86 NAS require running usbrecovery.exe, but if you scroll down To create a USB recovery drive for an ARM-based system, there are instructions there that don't require doing running that.

You'd need to be careful to use MBR formatting, not GPT.

Message 5 of 8
mikewyatt
Aspirant

Hi Marc

Have copied files to USB (on PC, had to use copy method as recovery tool was not seeing discimage)

Have followed instructios to boot from USB and the drive is just sitting there with lcd panel showing DEBUG  #PORT  #IP  Recovery with a flashing square cursor on the R - has been like this for some 15 minutes now, Is this right?

Seems to be showing on RAIDAR as model None with what looks like an DHCP assigned address, has incorrect hostname and no disks showing

Mike

Message 6 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @mikewyatt

The NAS should turn off once done, 15 minutes seems long for it to finish. Have you tried using a different USB drive?

Message 7 of 8
mikewyatt
Aspirant

Hi Marc_V

Have tried 2 other USB drives (different sizes and makes) but all give same result, system seems to start going through recovery process but finally sits there with the same message on lcd screen.

When copying NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt to USB, Windows 2012R2 says that file has properties that cannot be copied, (unzipped file says it is zero bytes)

Not sure what to do next

Mike

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements