× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 1100 can't see HDD

DenisfromParis
Aspirant

ReadyNas 1100 can't see HDD

Hi,

This morning the ReadyNas stopped working.

No access tothe NAS, no access to the web admin interface.

The shutdown button didn't work, so I had to manually power down. (Guess this is a motherboard issue).

After power up again, the ReadyNas1100 was unable to see the forth usual 2TB HDD plugged > 4 green led blinking / green led n#2 blinking and again...

Different tries had the same result.

The usual IP adress was lost.

Only 192.168.168.168 respond to an IP scanner software.

But no service is available (web, ssh, telnet, ...) Nothing.

So my question is : is there anything I should do with this ?

If the machine is defintely out of order, how can I recover my datas ?

I thought using a raid 5 board from another vendor ?

I anyone knows how to solve, this, Thanks to him (or her).

Denis from Paris

Model: ReadyNAS-1100|ReadyNAS 1100
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@DenisfromParis wrote:

If the machine is defintely out of order, how can I recover my datas ?

I thought using a raid 5 board from another vendor ?

I don't think a RAID-5 board will work.  You can use this procedure: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306

Netgear support can also assist in mounting your data volume (temporarily) in a new OS 6 NAS so you can copy the data off: https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

DenisfromParis wrote:

Only 192.168.168.168 respond to an IP scanner software.

Likely there is no DHCP server on your network.  You could add one, or alternatively set up a PC to use 192.168.168.100 as a static address, with 192.168.168.1 as a gateway.  Then directly connect the NAS to the PC (no crossover cable is needed).  That should give you access to the NAS from the PC.

Message 2 of 10
DenisfromParis
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your help.

We perform your advice :

"You could set up a PC to use 192.168.168.100 as a static address, with 192.168.168.1 as a gateway.  Then directly connect the NAS to the PC (no crossover cable is needed).  That should give you access to the NAS from the PC."

Then results were the following but unexpected. :

When I power up the Nas with the 4 hDD NOT docked, the HDD led are blinking (4th together / led N2 alone / 4th together...)
The power led is blinking slowly and the network is blinking at the usual luminance.
The 192.168.168.168 does answer with a ping command (the network chip is declared from Infrant tech). But telnet / ssh / http / ftp doesn't answer.

I have to say that the connexion is possible only with 1 of the 2 network RJ45.

BUT when I power up with the 4 hDD docked, none of the HDD led are blinking. Only the power led is blinking slowly.
The network is also blinking but the luminance is weaker than usually.
The 192.168.168.168 doesn't answer at all with ping command.

Any Clue ?

Best regards,

Denis

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

One possibility is that the disks are corrupted, so the system can't fully boot.  

Do you have a scratch disk (not part of the array) that you could use?  You'd could try to do a factory install with only the scratch disk in the 1100.  It needs to be less than 2 TB.

Message 4 of 10
DenisfromParis
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

I put one 2TB scratch disk and did a factory install.

I’m now able to open the web interface RAIDiator ; a good point.

In order to recover our data, what is the next step ?

I hope there is one…

Best regards,

Denis

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

You can try to mount the RAID array in an x86 linux system, using the guide here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306  Note most PCs can boot linux with a "live" usb drive.

You can also try paid netgear support (my.netgear.com), or a data recovery service.  Netgear's data recovery service is here: https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Note that if you go with Netgear you might not need full data recovery.  If something is wrong with the OS partition only, they can rebuild that remotely.

Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

An OS re-install might do the trick if it's just the OS partition that's corrupted.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

An OS re-install might do the trick if it's just the OS partition that's corrupted.

Possibly.  I suggest checking with RAIDar first, and seeing if it detects "corrupt root".  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar  If it doesn't, then the OS reinstall is probably not the way to go.

Message 8 of 10
DenisfromParis
Aspirant

I'm confused about the way I can perform an OS Re-install with explanations given page :

https://kb.netgear.com/24873/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-1100

Example :

a- Does the sentence "depress the hidden switch in the pinhole" mean "do not press" or "don't do anything !" ?

b- The sentence "3- With the system off, hold down the Power button, and wait for the desired LED flashes"

I suppose this concern the "Led power".

I can see the "Led power" blink first slow let say 10 times and then blink a little faster indefinitly.

c-The sentence "4- Release the Power button when the option you desire is active"

I suppose when the OS-Re-install is concern this sentence should be written as "Release the Reset button when the option you desire is active" ?

Allow me to rephrase my question : "to perform an OS-reinstall, should we press the Reset button during 5 second when :

a- we switch on the device at the back of the device ?

b- we push the power button at the front of the device ?

c- we wait the powering of the device is done and then we phus the Rest button.

Thank you.

Denis Garcia

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Hold the reset button in while you power on via the front button.  "Depress" means "press down" (not that one could press up on it).

As for the rest, yes, it's confusing that it says to release the POWER button in the text but the chart says Reset button for OS re-install or factory default.  I do not have an 1100, but I believe the sequence for an OS re-install is power on via front button while holding the reset button.  Hold the reset button but NOT the power button for the time shown in the chart (when you should also see the appropriate number of LED flashes), then release reset.  Since you want to make sure you do not accidently do a factory default, you may want to wait for confirmation from an 1100 owner or Netgear moderator.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements