× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 204 (3x3TB) drives with new firmware 6.4.2 gives "Remove inactive Volumes"

Aedmunde
Aspirant

ReadyNas 204 (3x3TB) drives with new firmware 6.4.2 gives "Remove inactive Volumes"

Did a disk by disk upgrade of a 3x2TB ReadyNas 204.   Disk3, Disk2...

Before the last disk was upgraded; system was All green, did a firmware upgrade to 6.4.2   

I then after reboot  swapped out Drive 1 to a 3TB disk.  The resynch started and...

Upgrade completed VERY quickly... (less than 1 day, unlike previous which took 1 week approx).

Upon inspection;  I have Data and Data1 sets where Data is a Raid5 configuration (what I started with), and Data-1 is a Raid0 configuration with a prompt to "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk.  Disk #2,3.

I've not seen THAT before.

Firmware bug, or a documentation addendum / update?  The previous two disk replacements (going from 2TB to 3TB) worked fine.

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Aedmunde
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas 204 (3x3TB) drives with new firmware 6.4.2 gives "Remove inactive Volumes"

Welcome to ReadyNASOS 6.4.2

root@nas:~# apt-get install idle3-tools 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
idle3-tools
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.4 kB of archives.
After this operation, 56.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ wheezy/main idle3-tools armel 0.9.1-1 [13.4 kB]
Fetched 13.4 kB in 0s (79.4 kB/s)
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
Selecting previously unselected package idle3-tools.
(Reading database ... 13155 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking idle3-tools (from .../idle3-tools_0.9.1-1_armel.deb) ...
root@nas:~# for d in /dev/disk/internal/*; do idle3ctl -g $d; done
Idle3 timer set to 80 (0x50)
root@nas:~#

Many thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas 204 (3x3TB) drives with new firmware 6.4.2 gives "Remove inactive Volumes"

Hi Aedmunde,

Welcome to community!

May I ask how exactly you replaced the disks? I mean the steps you took.

Please also post a screenshot of what you see under Volumes in the admin page.

Regards,

Message 2 of 15
Aedmunde
Aspirant

No problem.  (whups -- first try went via email, N.G.)...

1. Installed (3) 2TB drives, added folders and transferred about 3 TB of data.

2. A drive failed (SMART) and I replaced it. Discovered it wasn't exactly transparent to do this task; instructions not step-by-step.  Instructions just say "replace" and let sync.

3. Now that system is back to "Green - Ready" and no errors; decided to replace entire set with (3) 3TB disks because they are all same speed and model (hopefully better).

4. Replaced Drive #3, waited for resync.  (Didn't happen)

5. powercycled unit using menu button; resync started and took several days.  

6. Repeat 4,5 for Disk #2.  

NetgearReadyNAS2043x3TB.png
7. Repeat 4,5 for Disk #1

error as shown above..

8*. -- now transferring 3GB+ to "storageSpaces" in W2K12R2E, but that's likely to not work...  (but backup better than nothing).

suggestions?

Message 3 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)

Message 4 of 15
Aedmunde
Aspirant

Sent as PM.  (GoogleDrive not Dropbox, but wth)...

-e

Message 5 of 15
Aedmunde
Aspirant

Update:  I backed up the entire (almost 3TB) of data to a new "StorageArray" Raid5 on a server.  (Some files, of course... refused to transfer).

I jumped off the bridge, and "Deleted" the volume Data-1 from the second two drives; and it worked.  OR at least, looks like it...   Now I wait?

ReadyNas after Deleting 2,3.png

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

The volume hasn't expanded (at least not yet) so you might need to try rebooting the NAS. 

Perhaps send mdgm fresh logs.

If you want to continue on your own, perhaps try to get the problem files off the NAS too, and then do a factory reset (rebuilding everything, and restoring from your backup array).  Try reseting the permissions on the share(s) those files are in, that might help.

Message 7 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A fresh set of logs would be good.

Backing up the data, verifying the backup is successful and doing the factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) could be a good option.

For some reason only disks 2 and 3 were in the new layer which oddly showed up in the UI as second volume.

Disk 1 does have a huge Load Cycle Count but then that is expected when using Green disks without changing the WDIDLE3 setting.

Message 8 of 15
Aedmunde
Aspirant

ok.  logs will be sent after reboot. (occurring now).

More below the digression.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

RE: WDIDLE3:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-to-ReadyNAS/HOWTO-Disable-WD-IDLE3-via-ReadyNAS/td-p/894601  

Is that a feasable (legit) technique?  Otherwise, it's pull drive, insert in PC, boot in DOS, run  WDIDLE3 via UltimatebootCD or other tool...  I have a Sata removable but it is another iteration of removing drive, removing frame, etc...

Many thanks for that, I was unaware (embarrassing).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

message logs (email) now show "Resyncing started for Volume data." after powercycle.

I'll send logs after a status change unless ... (or someone tells me more about WDIDLE3)...

o

o

o

o

o

RESEARCH:  (FYI)

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Western-Digital-Green-vs-Red-Hard-Drives-602/

http://www.storagereview.com/how_to_stop_excessive_load_cycles_on_the_western_digital_2tb_caviar_gre...

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hacking-wd-greens-and-reds-with-wdidle3-exe.18171/page-...

<duplicated so removed>... 

Message 9 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Actually you can just do this:

# apt-get install idle3-tools
# for d in /dev/disk/internal/*; do idle3ctl -g $d; done
Message 10 of 15
Aedmunde
Aspirant

Hmm... that looks like a console to me.  Via RS-232, telenet, or SSH?  And if so... article link please?  ( not hacking unless absolutely necessary).   (Programmer/Engineer ::= really good at breaking things).

https://onlyblueatwork.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/netgear-readynas-access-recovery/

-e

Message 11 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That would be done via SSH. I wouldn't do that whilst you have this problem and would suggest that you backup your data first (assuming your array can be brought back online).

You may need to contact support and purchase a contract so they can look into what's going on.

Message 12 of 15
Aedmunde
Aspirant

Agreed.  I only mod one thing at a time, else I don't know what I've done.

I also have a *backup*.  

When the system tells me it's completed, then I will revisit the settings.

** UPDATE** "Voume Data is resynched."

I'm going to suggest that you hit a new FAQ that lists some of these questions, and the short form answers (since the references seem to take a while to chase, and aren't complete -- or at least take some google-ing).  IMHO.

1. How to replace a disk (step by step with pictures of the software settings), including the caveat that *usually* just waiting between steps is sufficient, but if not...)  (warm and fuzzy so we feel like we ARE doing it correctly).  Would also help noting that the resynch can take a long time...

2. how to read the log files for WDIDLE3 etc like parking and ... what to do to improve it... 

It is a good device, but because a lot of it is buried under linux, and not everyone is going to be conversant; example 3. enabling SSH on the device... and why you might want to do that, and why it's a bad idea if you're not sure...

Message 13 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is a progress indicator for the resync and you can see when it is finished. Usually the progress indicator will overestimate the time the resync will take at first.

Well it would be recommended to use RED drives rather than Green disks. WD RED disks already have an appropriate setting for WDIDLE3.

Message 14 of 15
Aedmunde
Aspirant

Welcome to ReadyNASOS 6.4.2

root@nas:~# apt-get install idle3-tools 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
idle3-tools
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.4 kB of archives.
After this operation, 56.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ wheezy/main idle3-tools armel 0.9.1-1 [13.4 kB]
Fetched 13.4 kB in 0s (79.4 kB/s)
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
Selecting previously unselected package idle3-tools.
(Reading database ... 13155 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking idle3-tools (from .../idle3-tools_0.9.1-1_armel.deb) ...
root@nas:~# for d in /dev/disk/internal/*; do idle3ctl -g $d; done
root@nas:~#

Many thanks!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation