× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 204

ronpatrick1973
Aspirant

ReadyNas 204

Is it possible to take a hard drive formated as JBOD out of ReadyNas and connect to Windows 10 laptop via SATA to USB adapter?  If so how?

When I connect my drive I see it in Disk Management but cannot open any of the 3 volumes to see/copy its contents.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 204

@ronpatrick1973 wrote:

Is it possible to take a hard drive formated as JBOD out of ReadyNas and connect to Windows 10 laptop via SATA to USB adapter?  If so how?

The data volume uses the BTRFS file system on a software RAID partition, which is not supported by Windows.

There is a BTRFS for windows package available from Paragon that you could try.  I don't know if it can handle the software RAID partition though.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@ronpatrick1973 wrote:

The data volume uses the BTRFS file system on a software RAID partition, which is not supported by Windows.

There is a BTRFS for windows package available from Paragon that you could try.  I don't know if it can handle the software RAID partition though.

Message 2 of 4
ronpatrick1973
Aspirant

Your suggestion worked!  Life saver!  I downloaded MKBTRFS from GitHub and also WinMD.  Rebooted laptop, drives showed up.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

@ronpatrick1973 wrote:

I downloaded MKBTRFS from GitHub and also WinMD.  Rebooted laptop, drives showed up.

I'm glad somebody tried that.  It was on my list of things to do.  Unfortunately, neither supports a damaged volume, AFAIK (I remember the documentation on one expressly stating it does not), so that limits use to data recovery from broken hardware where the volume has not been damaged.  But, still, it's something. 

My understanding is that the next generation of the Linux subsystem for Windows will have a real Linux kernel, so maybe even more will be possible in the near future.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements