× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 2100 Backup Failed - USB not currently connected. RAIDiator 4.2.15

oxjox1
Aspirant

ReadyNas 2100 Backup Failed - USB not currently connected. RAIDiator 4.2.15

I'm just trying to quickly / effieicently transfer the music from the NAS to the HDD. I can do it over the network but it's taking forever. 

ReadyNAS 2100 is on RAIDiator 4.2.15. Trying to transfer 192GB of music to a WD Passport 512GB SSD that's been formatted to FAT32 on a Mac. I get the following error: 
The destination for this backup job is a USB device that is currently not connected. If it is attached, please try removing and reattaching the device.
I've rebooted the NAS and I've unplugged and repluged the HDD multiple times. I've tried reformatting the drive to NTFS and exFAT. 

Model: RNRX4410|ReadyNAS 2100 4TB (4 x 1TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 2100 Backup Failed - USB not currently connected. RAIDiator 4.2.15

exFAT won't work, but both FAT32 and NTFS should.  If you neglected to eject the drive in the NAS you might have set the "dirty" drive bit on the USB volume.  When you connect it to the MAC, is it coming up Read-only?  Do you have a different USB drive you could try?

@oxjox1 wrote:

I can do it over the network but it's taking forever. 

That seems odd.  Are you connected over wired ethernet?

FWIW, your firmware is quite out of date.  The current version is 4.2.31.

Message 2 of 5
oxjox1
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response. I just tried an 8GB flash drive I have and got the exact same results. 

I can reformat the drive from the NAS interface but it doesn't otherwise seem to recognize it. If I create a folder on the drive from my desktop, the NAS does not see it from the Select Backup Destination > Path:Browse field. 

Yes, NTFS is read only for the MAC. I also have Windows via Parallels. 

Yes, network is wired. There's over 2,000 folders that need to be copied and my local machine is running out of space 😞

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@oxjox1 wrote:

There's over 2,000 folders that need to be copied 

That likely explains the slow copy speed over the network.  Still, you might want to start a copy that way, since it could well finish before you sort out the issue with the 2100's USB connection.

Do you have any experience with the linux command line?

Message 4 of 5
oxjox1
Aspirant

Yep. I've resorted to the network transfer. I just grabbed them all and let it go overnight. Haven't checked yet so hopefully there weren't any errors. 

I didn't even bother reasearching the Unix commands. Just another rabbit hole I was too tired to attempt. 

thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements