× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas RN314 : Disk not expanding after replacement

ljcoetzee
Aspirant

ReadyNas 2120 : Disk not expanding after replacement

Good Day!

I made use of 2 x 2TB Seagate drives for NAS Storage with set up. We had to expand, so purchased the same drive, also 2TB and installed it into ReadyNAS.

This was done three days ago, but the NAS is stil extremely slow. 

Have already restarted as well. 

Is there something els thats needs to be done, other than just inserting the drive into the NAS?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 9
funglenn
Luminary

Re: ReadyNas 2120 : Disk not expanding after replacement

Can you provide more details? A 212 is a 2 bay unit and something may have gotten lost in writing your post.

Did you have 2 drives in the system, each 2TB and you replaced one with the same size?  If so, the system, which was raided as a mirror, will simply rebuild the array of the same size.  And yes, the system will be very slow while it rebuilds itself. 

If you want to break the array and use each drive with no redundancy, you may need to reformat the whole array, which will cause full data erasure. It may be possible without deleting it, but I recommend you have a full backup handy....

Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RN2120 is a 4-bay 1U rackmount ReadyNAS, which is very different to the RN212 which is a 2-bay desktop ReadyNAS.

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 3 of 9
funglenn
Luminary

my apologies, I thought it said 21200 -- which is the part number for the 212 with no drives included.   I did find it odd......

Message 4 of 9
ljcoetzee
Aspirant

Appologies! It is a RN314 four bay. 

I had 2 x 2 TB on Raid 5, and just added a new 2TB drive to increase capacity to 6TB total.

I tried to download a Log via ReadyNAS as well as RAIDar 6 and both gives me errors.

I also did a Firmware update just before installing the new disk?

Message 5 of 9
ljcoetzee
Aspirant

Appologies! It is a RN314 four bay. 

I had 2 x 2 TB on Raid 5, and just added a new 2TB drive to increase capacity to 6TB total.

I tried to download a Log via ReadyNAS as well as RAIDar 6 and both gives me errors.

I also did a Firmware update just before installing the new disk?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your volume has now been manually expanded.

Message 7 of 9
ljcoetzee
Aspirant

Thank you very much!

The system is extremely slow, it drops connection from the network from time to time. We run a Gigabit Network so it is a bit frustrating. Can the building of the Raid 5 take so long, or has it only started to rebuild after the manual expansion?

Do we have the correct Services switched on for a normal LAN operating environment?

Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like anti-virus is using a lot of resources. You could try disabling that service.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements