× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 214 : Adding new 2x 8Tb disk to 2 x 8Tb existing hardware, but one disk not detected.

cellworks-nas
Aspirant

ReadyNas 214 : Adding new 2x 8Tb disk to 2 x 8Tb existing hardware, but one disk not detected.

Hi,

I have ReadyNAS 214, details below:

Firmware: 6.9.0

Drives:  2 x 8TB..

In order  to increase the storage capacity, added another 2 x 8TB seagate drives.

It took 122 hrs [5 days] exactly to resynchronize and finally the storage capacity was upgraded to 14.54TB.

Now facing two issues:

1. One of the disk is not detected, even though it was brand new disk.

2. Continuously getting below warnings:

Detected increasing pending sector: count [320] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST8000VX0022-2EJ112, ZA19H4AH] 35 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [6048] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST8000VX0022-2EJ112 ZA19H4AH] 70 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Please guide me on how to resolve these warnings and what needs to be done so as to make the 4th drive working.

Attached the screenshot.

Thanks

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ReadyNas 214 : Adding new 2x 8Tb disk to 2 x 8Tb existing hardware, but one disk not detected.

You need to plug the disk 3 onto Windows machine to check its health level,if the hard drive is defective then it won't be joined to raid group,HDtune is a good software to determine if your hard drive is healthy.

Message 2 of 4
cellworks-nas
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas 214 : Adding new 2x 8Tb disk to 2 x 8Tb existing hardware, but one disk not detected.

Hi ,

Its added in raid currently hence the total storage has increased to 14.54TB.

Basic question question is, what could be the reason for these errors in new disk and what are the counter measures?

Would be glad to hear the answers.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Reallocated sectors have nothing to do with the NAS - they are monitored by the hard drive firmware itself, and it looks like disk 3 is defective.  Though it is in the RAID array, it should be replaced.  I'd exchange it with the seller if you can, as the manufacturer will exchange it for a recertified drive, and the seller will exchange it for a new one.  FWIW, I swap out hard drives before they reach 50 reallocated sectors.  Though different folks have different ideas about what the replacement threshold would be.

I suspect drive 4 was DOA - since the NAS isn't detecting it at all.  Perhaps there was damage in shipment of the new disks??  

Generally I recommend testing the drive with vendor tools (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).  Nothing against HDTune, but I think the manufacturer (and the seller) might place more weight on the vendor tools.  Whatever tool you use might offer to "repair" them (which basically means reallocate any bad sectors the diagnostic finds).  But these are new disks; if they were mine I'd exchange them.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements