× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 214 adding 10Tb disk to 2 x 6Tb existing - single volume?

mrfoster
Aspirant

ReadyNas 214 adding 10Tb disk to 2 x 6Tb existing - single volume?

Hi - I've finally arrived at maxing my current RAID-0,  2 x 6Tb drives.  I'd like to simply add another 10Tb drive to the volume - to arrive at 22Tb storage.  I'm not concerned about redundancy or performance as the entire lump of storage is replicated up from a Windows Storage Spaces based setup - adding disks here to the pool is easy.  How do I do this with the ReadyNas - I've read something about adding Groups in the latest firmware docs - but cannot see how to do this with my NAS.  When the new, empty 10Tb disk was added - and I click on it - the option to expand does appear on the existing RAID-0 config - but going down this route results in an error - "disk not found".  Currently I've had to settle with simply adding in a second volume - for which I'll have to setup a second share etc.  

Is it possible to create a single volume comprising of different sized disks?

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 214 adding 10Tb disk to 2 x 6Tb existing - single volume?

@mrfoster wrote:

Currently I've had to settle with simply adding in a second volume - for which I'll have to setup a second share etc.  

Is it possible to create a single volume comprising of different sized disks?

The answer used to be no, but I'm not sure now either.  This guide suggests that you could add a "concatenated group" to your existing volume, which I think has the same effect as expanding it.  https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_FlexRAID_Optimization_Guide.pdf

See the table on page 13.

If it works, please post back and let us know...

Message 2 of 8
mrfoster
Aspirant

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for posting.  I saw the exact same piece of documentation - so was hopeful.. However, all I see is the option to "expand" - then beyond that I get the error as mentioned.  Can anybody chime in on how the new "concatenated group" should work?

Message 3 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

I have done concatinations on a JBOD array, but I used drives of the same size.  I'm not sure what would happen with a drive of a different size.  The end result is what most manufacturers call "spanned".

I was running some tests (unfortunately, not concatinating a RAID0) and did see some instances where an option appeared to be available but ended up with an error, as yours did.  What I tried to do was definately not allowed, but the GUI incorrectly showed it was.

If you read the document quite literally, it says you can concatinate a RAID to another RAID.  And since a RAID needs at least two drives, that may be the key.  There may also be  an unstated size issue as compared with the original drives.

Sounds like time for some more experiments.

If you have a backup and are willing to try something out that will require destroying the volume, try using a single drive as JBOB, then do an "Add Group" with each of the other drives.  I think that just may work to get full use of your drives.

Message 4 of 8
mrfoster
Aspirant

OK - thanks Sandshark.  I'd rather not ditch my entire 9Tb worth of backup just yet - so wondered if the following approach could prove our theory.  I add another spare drive I have (1Tb I think) - to bay 4 on the NAS.

I then try to add this using our Group addition JBOD approach. This will be an additinal drive - that should then hopefully be part of the same volume as my new 10Tb drive - proving the theory?

How do I go about adding my current 10Tb drive in JBOD config - and then adding the second as JBOD also?  Current RAID config for the 6Tb pair is RAID0 - giving me 12Tb available.

Message 5 of 8
mrfoster
Aspirant

OK - so it looks like this Group concatenation seems to work with JBOD on different sized disks (albeit given a warning re: performance).  

Readynas with JBOD Group.PNG

I have added the 10Tb drive, created a volume for it, then added the 1Tb drive - and used the "Add group" function.  The result is both drives accessed from a single volume and therefore share - which is just what I want.

To get me where I need to be - I think I have to destroy my temporary volume, then destroy the RAID-0 setup - and then rebuild all as JBOD adding each to the volume via the group approach.

Do I need a hardware reset - or can I just destroy each volume?

Message 6 of 8
mrfoster
Aspirant

It seems my continued experimentation has finally allowed me to do what I intended.  Clicking on the original volume, then clicking on my freshly destroyed 10Tb disk - allowed me to add it via a concatenated group.  So we add a new disk to a pair of RAID-0 disks.

See below:

Readynas with RAID-0 Group.PNG

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Odd that it only let you do that with a destroyed volume and not a fresh drive.  Those would seem to be the same situation.  Might be a bug.

But, it worked out for you without having to restore the old data, so bravo! and thanks for the info.  Now I don't have to run the experiments.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements