× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 314 - Is it possbile to backup to two devices without setting up seperate backup jobs?

OdetteJaycock
Aspirant

ReadyNas 314 - Is it possbile to backup to two devices without setting up seperate backup jobs?

Before I continue I'm unable to select that the device in question is a Netgear ReadyNas 314 and not a router.  Drop down is broken.

What I want to achieve is the following - back up to two usb attached devices so one device is offsite for DR purposes.

We have a backup schedule set up at the moment which is working perfectly and the backups are completing with no errors.

The usb device when plugged in given ID:  USB_HDD_1

This is fine but we want to use another backup drive so they can be swapped out weekly to keep a backup offsite.

When the other usb device is plugged in it's assigned USB_HDD_2 by the Netgear device even though the other one is unplugged.

Device:  ReadyNas 314 - Firmware 6.9.0

Is there a way of achieving the above?

Does anyone else have this working in a similar scenario?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 314 - Is it possbile to backup to two devices without setting up seperate backup jobs?

Lots of folks here have complained about USB naming, but so far Netgear hasn't addressed it.

Can you select the USB port as the destination of the backup job?

Message 2 of 5
OdetteJaycock
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for that.  No I didn't want to change anything until someone had replied to my question as the backup is working with one backup device.

We'll have to manually change the backup location eah time the backup device is changed from what you are saying then?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Well, I believe if you changed the destination to the USB port that would work.  You could of course use two different backup jobs that are identical except for the destination path.

Another thought is that you could create a share on one of the USB drives, and create the same folder on the other. Enable rsync for the share, and then use rsync (127.0.0.1 has the destination host, with the folder name as the path).

There are certainly other users here who have dealt with this, hopefully they will chime in.  Personally I back up my main NAS to other NAS, so it's not something I need to struggle with.

Message 4 of 5
OdetteJaycock
Aspirant

Hi

The second backup device was attached and the backup ran through successfully but the original backup is now failing saying it can't find the destination even though I can clearly browse to the folder locations.

I've seen an option in the "Cloud" tab in the main Netgear login page to use Dropbox which is an option for us as we have ample space and our data is only around 15GB in size.  Do you have any experience of using Dropbox as a backup solution to get a copy of the data offsite?

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements