× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 314 lost volume

Matt-I
Aspirant

ReadyNas 314 lost volume

My ReadyNas 314 has suddenly lost its volume. It is now giving the error "remove inactive volumes to use the disk #1,2,3,4".

I have seen posts before with the same issue, but the difference is that I have no disk errors, and nothing that I can see in the logs to suggest a problem has occured.

Set up as RAID 5 X-RAID. Firmware 6.10.5 Hotfix 1

I do have a back up, probably 95% of the files, but would rather remount the volume, than create a new one and restore the data

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Hi @Matt-I 

Thanks for the logs.

The good news is that your data raid starts just fine and is running. The reason you are getting the cryptic message of: "Remove inactive volumes", is because the filesystem cannot mount. When the NAS boots up, we can see that the BTRFS filesystem fails do a log-replay as it cannot read the log-tree. Essentially, the log-tree has some sort of corruption. That log is the filesystem journal and because the filesystem has issues reading that log-tree, it just stops and refuses to mount. BTRFS is doing this for data integrity to prevent any further/actual data corruption due to a damaged journal.

[Sun Oct 31 19:29:16 2021] BTRFS info (device md127): start tree-log replay
[Sun Oct 31 19:29:16 2021] BTRFS error (device md127): parent transid verify failed on 9746886656 wanted 7573031 found 7532096
[Sun Oct 31 19:29:16 2021] BTRFS error (device md127): parent transid verify failed on 9746886656 wanted 7573031 found 7532096
[Sun Oct 31 19:29:16 2021] BTRFS warning (device md127): failed to read log tree
[Sun Oct 31 19:29:16 2021] BTRFS error (device md127): open_ctree failed

This is a good match running a zero-log against the filesystem. You can reset the journal which should allow the filesystem to mount again. This should solve your issue and is quite safe to run and especially given that you have most of the data backed up. I would suggest trying this.

Clearing the journal-log may lead to loss of changes that were made since the last transaction commit, but the risks should be fairly low here.

In order to do this, you need to access the NAS over SSH and login as the "root" user. Then run this command from the command line.

btrfs rescue zero-log /dev/md127

Hereafter, reboot the NAS from the Web admin page.

Instructions on how to access the NAS via SSH, are below.

1. Go to System > Settings > Services.
2. Click on SSH.
3. When prompted with the support warning, click Yes if you are sure you want to proceed.
4. Select Enable SSH and Enable password authentication.
5. Click Apply.
6. You can now connect to the ReadyNAS through SSH as the root user.

Note: The root password is the same as the admin password to the web admin page.

Now, open command prompt in Windows and type:

ssh root@192.168.0.1

---> Replace 192.168.0.1 with the actual IP of your NAS

Then, you will be presented with a prompt to whether you trust and want to connect to the NAS. Type "yes" and hit Enter.

This should take you to the login prompt to the NAS.
---> Username: root (and hit Enter)
---> Password: The root password is the same as the admin password to the web admin page (and hit Enter).

Once you are in, run the command from above

It can take up to 30 seconds to complete but once done, then you can exit the NAS command line. Type:

exit

Last step, go to the admin web page and reboot the NAS.

Let us know how you get on and if you have any questions.

Cheers

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I usually suggest paid Netgear support for this, as diagnosing what went wrong and fixing it is difficult.  @rn_enthusiast sometimes offers help in this case, so I am tagging.

Message 2 of 7
Chappy316
Aspirant

Having a Similar issue with my ReadyNas 3130.

Subscribed hoping for some insight.

Message 3 of 7
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Thanks for the tag.

You are both welcome to send me logs of your NAS and I can take a look.

When you access the NAS Admin web page, go to: System > Logs and here you will see a button called "Download Logs" on the right-hand side. Click this and it will download a zip file with all the NAS logs inside.

Take this zip file and upload to your Dropbox, Google Drive or similar and then make a link where I can download the log zip file. PM me this link please. Then I will have a look to see what is going on.

Cheers

Message 4 of 7
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Hi @Matt-I 

Thanks for the logs.

The good news is that your data raid starts just fine and is running. The reason you are getting the cryptic message of: "Remove inactive volumes", is because the filesystem cannot mount. When the NAS boots up, we can see that the BTRFS filesystem fails do a log-replay as it cannot read the log-tree. Essentially, the log-tree has some sort of corruption. That log is the filesystem journal and because the filesystem has issues reading that log-tree, it just stops and refuses to mount. BTRFS is doing this for data integrity to prevent any further/actual data corruption due to a damaged journal.

[Sun Oct 31 19:29:16 2021] BTRFS info (device md127): start tree-log replay
[Sun Oct 31 19:29:16 2021] BTRFS warning (device md127): failed to read log tree
[Sun Oct 31 19:29:16 2021] BTRFS error (device md127): open_ctree failed

This is a good match running a zero-log against the filesystem. You can reset the journal which should allow the filesystem to mount again. This should solve your issue and is quite safe to run and especially given that you have most of the data backed up. I would suggest trying this.

Clearing the journal-log may lead to loss of changes that were made since the last transaction commit, but the risks should be fairly low here.

In order to do this, you need to access the NAS over SSH and login as the "root" user. Then run this command from the command line.

Hereafter, reboot the NAS from the Web admin page.

Instructions on how to access the NAS via SSH, are below.

1. Go to System > Settings > Services.
2. Click on SSH.
3. When prompted with the support warning, click Yes if you are sure you want to proceed.
4. Select Enable SSH and Enable password authentication.
5. Click Apply.
6. You can now connect to the ReadyNAS through SSH as the root user.

Note: The root password is the same as the admin password to the web admin page.

Now, open command prompt in Windows and type:

ssh root@192.168.0.1

---> Replace 192.168.0.1 with the actual IP of your NAS

Then, you will be presented with a prompt to whether you trust and want to connect to the NAS. Type "yes" and hit Enter.

This should take you to the login prompt to the NAS.
---> Username: root (and hit Enter)
---> Password: The root password is the same as the admin password to the web admin page (and hit Enter).

Once you are in, run the command from above

It can take up to 30 seconds to complete but once done, then you can exit the NAS command line. Type:

exit

Last step, go to the admin web page and reboot the NAS.

Let us know how you get on and if you have any questions.

Cheers

Message 5 of 7
Matt-I
Aspirant

Thats brilliant @rn_enthusiast , thank you so much, it's worked like a charm! Happy Days.

Message 6 of 7
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Glad to hear that @Matt-I 

Hope all goes well with the NAS 🙂

When you clear the journal-log like this, there is a possibility that some files which where is transaction state, might be damaged/corrupted now. So, if you come across a file at some point that appears corrupted, then you know why. But generally speaking, your data should be OK here.

Cheers

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements