× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 424 HDD failing, system stuck resyncing

hplcman1972
Follower

ReadyNas 424 HDD failing, system stuck resyncing

Hello,

I think one of my 8tb WD Red drives (pretty new) is starting to fail (increasing ATA counts).  The system is resyncing now (I didn't set it to do that, it just started doing it) and it's taking forever to complete.  It's only 50% complete now and it estimated another 11,000 hours or so to finish the job.  I have a replacement disk ready to swap out with the bad one, but I don't want to do that while this resynch thing is going on.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 424 HDD failing, system stuck resyncing

@hplcman1972 wrote:

Hello,

I think one of my 8tb WD Red drives (pretty new) is starting to fail (increasing ATA counts).  The system is resyncing now (I didn't set it to do that, it just started doing it) and it's taking forever to complete.  It's only 50% complete now and it estimated another 11,000 hours or so to finish the job.  I have a replacement disk ready to swap out with the bad one, but I don't want to do that while this resynch thing is going on.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Are you sure you know which drive is resyncing?

If you are (and if the syncing disk is the one that is failing), then you can hot-swap the drive now, and not wait for the resync to complete. But if you make a mistake on that, the volume will fail (with data loss). 

If you can download the log zip file, then mdstat will show you which drive letter (sdx) s iresyncing, disk_info.log will show you the current smart stats (and also give you the channel number of serial number of the resyncing drive).  You can also see any disk errors in system.log and kernel.log

The other option is to wait - in most cases the disk will be marked as failed fairly soon.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements