× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 424 offline

MatthiasG
Aspirant

ReadyNas 424 offline

Hi you All,

I have a NAS 424 with version 6.10.2 and attached a HDD with 6TB to copy all data (4TB) more than 24 hours ago.

Now the Nas is not reachable via IP adress (even ping does not work) and it does not display anything when I click on the buttons, only the buttons are getting blue.

I suppose that it pulls down my DHCP network.

Any ideas what I can do?

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
MatthiasG
Aspirant

After a few hours I tried a few next attempts with RAIDar but unsuccessful.

I then did a forced shutdown and a standard power on.

After booting the NAS was reachable and the last entrance on log file showed only that the backup was started.

I now reformated the USB HDD and restarted the backup by copiing the folders one by one.

I suppose that the backup process was interrupted by the start of other automated backups.

Issue solved.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@MatthiasG wrote:

I have a NAS 424 with version 6.10.2 and attached a HDD with 6TB to copy all data (4TB) more than 24 hours ago.

Can you clarify this?

Did you connect a USB hard drive to the RN424? Or did you do something else?

If so, how exactly did you copy the data?  Or are you saying that the NAS locked up when you connected the USB drive???

Message 2 of 8
MatthiasG
Aspirant

Ath the beginning I was not able to access the HDD (it was formated exFAT) then I reformated it as NTFS and was able that the NAS was able to recognize it.

I connected the USB HDD to the nas and did what the help page told me:

https://kb.netgear.com/29654/How-do-I-back-up-data-from-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-system-to-a-USB-disk.

(I have chosen EXT4 as file system and  Data (everything what is on the NAS (4.7 TB)).

since then the performance went down (to acces the nas from a pc) and then it went offline and still remains offline.

Message 3 of 8
MatthiasG
Aspirant

the lan port is flickering like hell, but it has not IP adress Nighthawk® X10 Smart-WLAN-Router (R9000) tells me.

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@MatthiasG wrote:

(I have chosen EXT4 as file system and  Data (everything what is on the NAS (4.7 TB)).

Personally I would have left it as NTFS.  EXT4 likely has a small performance edge, but it can't be read on Windows or Mac PCs.  For me that's a huge downside.

@MatthiasG wrote:

I connected the USB HDD to the nas and did what the help page told me ...

but it has not IP adress Nighthawk® X10 Smart-WLAN-Router (R9000) tells me.

So the backup is running?

Did you try using RAIDar to check the IP address? https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

There is a EXT driver for Windows with read/write support (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/ ), but I, too, recommend using NTFS for external drives.

Message 6 of 8
MatthiasG
Aspirant

there is no light anymore on the HDD and RAIDar 6.5.0 says that is no Nas around.

I will try to shut it down (a forced one)  in a few hours if RAIDar will not see it.

Message 7 of 8
MatthiasG
Aspirant

After a few hours I tried a few next attempts with RAIDar but unsuccessful.

I then did a forced shutdown and a standard power on.

After booting the NAS was reachable and the last entrance on log file showed only that the backup was started.

I now reformated the USB HDD and restarted the backup by copiing the folders one by one.

I suppose that the backup process was interrupted by the start of other automated backups.

Issue solved.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements